Winding the dinghy painter on the prop shaft,..,

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
anchored off beautiful Jewel Island in Casco Bay. I’ve been wanting to test a new emergency knife. A folding knife with a replaceable razor sharp edge. Cut through the heavy painter on the shaft, like butter. Now needs the blade changed.

A nice guy in the anchorage sent these shots of a rainbow after a passing thunderstorm and our dinghy no longer nose down under the stern.
BC5D7529-1DE4-40B3-B058-C039312ED4BC.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
anchored off beautiful Jewel Island in Casco Bay. I’ve been wanting to test a new emergency knife. A folding knife with a replaceable razor sharp edge. Cut through the heavy painter on the shaft, like butter. Now needs the blade changed.
Oh I hate it when these things happen. :( Glad you recovered. What type of knife?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Oh I hate it when these things happen. :( Glad you recovered. What type of knife?
I’ve done it before. About 35 years ago in the Bahamas. I was due. The knife is a Razor-Lite EDC I picked up at my hardware store. It appears to be all SS , but a few days should tell. About $25.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I bought a Hook Knife abut 10 years ago. It has saved me numerous times. About $70. The beauty of this knife is that you can quickly hook a line that is wrapped on your prop and simply pull. And it will attach to standard extendable poles if you need extra reach.
2015_0821_174112.JPG 2015_0821_174126.JPG

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Glad the knife worked. We have all done that. For me, adding the little float worked wonders for years and now the bridle has one, so no more painter wrapping prop.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I bought a Hook Knife abut 10 years ago. It has saved me numerous times. About $70. The beauty of this knife is that you can quickly hook a line that is wrapped on your prop and simply pull. And it will attach to standard extendable poles if you need extra reach.
View attachment 154893 View attachment 154894
@Rich Stidger I have one of those too. Bought it after the second prop wrap. Works well, haven't wrapped the prop since. It just sits there in a locker protecting me.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
We did that while shorthanded @ the Baths in the BVI. 6 foot seas, to deep to anchor and drifting towards shore, of course no power. Tense moments, quick deployment of my scuba gear and 15 minutes later is was removed. LOVE my serrated "Spyderco"

Nov 25, 2015
Endeavour 32 Middle River, Md
Using floating poly-line for dingy painter can almost alleviate this problem, however it is tougher to make a good Bowline

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Using floating poly-line for dingy painter can almost alleviate this problem, however it is tougher to make a good Bowline
After completing the knot using three-strand polypropylene, pass/snake/weave the bitter end (the tail) a couple of times through the lay of the standing part. It will hold.