How to rig a 1972 Oday 23

Jul 16, 2018
Oday 23 Stewartsville, NJ
HELP!!! I recently purchased a 1972 Oday 23 and I have never rigged a sailboat before and there is very little information on how to do so. I have the general idea when I put up the mast but once the boom is on, I get lost as in where does the mainsheet go, what does it look like because I don't think I got one with it. Do I need a boom vang...etc. I am currently waiting for a copy of the owners manual from IHEARTODAYS.com but have yet to receive anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
That Owners Manual may not help completely anyway, I think it is more geared to the 23-2 (1977-85) or if geared to the 1971-73 O23, it really just covers operation of the Pop-Top and a few tips. Hopefully I am wrong and it will have exactly the info that you need! The mainsheet on the 1972 23 was more or less the same setup as the 20-22 at that time so I have included a drawing of that.

A few picture of a 1972 to help (not my boat, but I have a good collection of various O'DAY pictures!)

Attachments

Jul 16, 2018
That Owners Manual may not help completely anyway, I think it is more geared to the 23-2 (1977-85) or if geared to the 1971-73 O23, it really just covers operation of the Pop-Top and a few tips. Hopefully I am wrong and it will have exactly the info that you need! The mainsheet on the 1972 23 was more or less the same setup as the 20-22 at that time so I have included a drawing of that.

A few picture of a 1972 to help (not my boat, but I have a good collection of various O'DAY pictures!)

Thanks very much for the reply. I had assumed the two blocks on the gunwales were for the genoa but it would appear they are indeed for the main sheet. Again thanks!!

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
look closely at those blocks, and you will see that one has a "tab" for you to attach one end of the sheet to (usually there is a shackle on the end of the sheet to attach it to this tab) then route it like in the picture for the 20 and 22 above. Anything unclear feel free to text me at number below. Enjoy!

Jul 16, 2018
look closely at those blocks, and you will see that one has a "tab" for you to attach one end of the sheet to (usually there is a shackle on the end of the sheet to attach it to this tab) then route it like in the picture for the 20 and 22 above. Anything unclear feel free to text me at number below. Enjoy!
Thanks for the response. I checked the blocks and that is exactly the case. It appears the shackle was left attached to the block tab rather than the sheet but its all there. Thanks again, I feel much better now.