Hunter 490 - seeking advice re sailability / livability

Hap

Aug 6, 2018
Hunter 466 SFO
We currently own a Hunter 466. I am very pleased with the "livability" as a live-aboard, and the sailing performance is better than I expected (sailing on SF Bay). We are considering stepping up to a Hunter 490, but wanted to seek advice/wisdom from other owners. We live-aboard in SF Bay Area, and intend to also do coastal cruising likely to include ports-of-call north and south between Desolation Sound (Washington State/Canada) and Mexico/Panama Canal.
Seeking first hand experience / wisdom.
Thank you.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I own a 466 and have looked at the 49/50 numerous times. The locker and hanging space in the 466 forward cabin is superior in many respects to the 49/50 with respect to size and access. The 49/50 does have a nice vanity, seat and seat on the port side of the cabin that the 466 does not have. The other big negative in my book is engine access. Beneath the floor boards. A tremendous resource on this forum and a very experienced owner who can tell you everything about the 49/50 is Art Boas. I have sailed a 49 and it sails like it is on rails...steady and sure. Size and handling, power or sail are excellent. Being able to control the sails from the helm station is terrific, unlike the 466 where one has to leave the helm station to handle the sails.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
We currently own a Hunter 466. I am very pleased with the "livability" as a live-aboard, and the sailing performance is better than I expected (sailing on SF Bay). We are considering stepping up to a Hunter 490, but wanted to seek advice/wisdom from other owners. We live-aboard in SF Bay Area, and intend to also do coastal cruising likely to include ports-of-call north and south between Desolation Sound (Washington State/Canada) and Mexico/Panama Canal.
Seeking first hand experience / wisdom.
Thank you.
The 49 is an excellent cruising boat. It has the following benefits:
Probably the best laid out galley of any 50 foot boat you'll see
Lots of storage
Deep bilge
Well engineered systems
The ceiling ductwork for airco units is far superior to traditional box vents.
Tremendous cold storage room
Negatives
The under floor engine as installed by hunter limits service.
I have posted articles on how to fix these issues to make engine access acceptable
You do need to remove the rather heavy stairs and an engine box to access the engine.
But, by mounting the engine sub-floor, this massively increases interior volume.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product