Replacing Stanchion Vent

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Are you saying the stanchion is threaded? Mine has just a tubing nipple- the hose slips over and is clamped over it. A correct size rubber “cork” could be tapped into the tubing to stopper it.

BTW the vents are tube-within-a-tube type. The 1/2” vent tube extends up into the 1” stanchion tube, to just below the lower lifeline hole.

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
Yup, it's threaded. Hose goes on the threads and then a hose clamp. I am not smart enough to have taken a picture of it after I slipped the hose off to check it though, but in fairness, the thermometer in the boat showed 110 degrees so I just wanted to get the heck out of there! I should specify that I have an '88, so that could make a difference. This does coincide with Catalina Direct Part # Z1791. It says they were used starting on hull #4726, and we are #5167. I was shocked to see how tiny the actual vent hole was inside the 1/2" vent tube... maybe 1/4".

I was able to pickup the cap nut for $1.28 at Lowes a little while ago, and some heavy duty tarps to try and fashion a sun barrier. I am so stoked to finally get that stinky hose outta my boat.

May 7, 2011
Tell me more about the tank fitting? What where how?
Is this a positive seal, or does it flex (tie the hose down well at the seat lip?)

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
Peggy Hall is the authority on all things boat odor, she literally wrote the book. So I used her suggestion and went with a Uniseal. I placed it randomly on the tank based on how long my hose happened to be. I just drilled a hole in the tank to match the size of my Uniseal and stuck the PVC elbow in. I can say without any hesitation that my head flushing odors are gone.

Now I am trying to overcome the odors left behind from the years of having the tank ventilation not properly configured. I have a bottle of PureAyre that was delivered yesterday so that should help as well. Now it is down to just scrubbing the inside of the hull between the holding tank and the bilge and anywhere else bad stuff may have traveled due to the messed up vent tube, etc..

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
I was finally able to remove the offense hose. Here is a picture of the threaded end of the vent stanchion and then another after I cleaned it up a bit, added thread tape, and capped it off. I am so glad to have that hose out of my boat!

threaded.jpg

capped.jpg

May 7, 2011
VERY cool.
Nice job. Would you consider doing a write up on your problem and fix and publishing it on the C-30 association wiki site. No money, only fame and glory. And contributing there for other owners.

-ken

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
I'll work on one when I have time, can't promise anything though. Also, I mostly just absorbed info from Peggy and others here and followed their lead so as not to reinvent the wheel.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I also added a SCAD solo tank monitor, which seems pretty handy.
@Smunkey Curious where and how you attached the sensor tape on the tank. Did you pull the tank up?
On my 93 the only side of the tank available without moving the tank is the short side. Wondering if you found a trick to do the install.
Thanks

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
So I had the same issue. I ended up contacting Michael at SCAD Technologies to ask him about positioning on the tank. What I ended up doing is this (or as close as I could get):
scad_location.JPG

Now, obviously you can't get there, so I had to cut off the aft end of the retainer "box" that holds the tank in place. I used my handy dandy oscillating tool to just make vertical cuts on the corners where it was just fiberglass. I then notched the wood piece where the sensor sits, and then glassed it back in when done. Less than ideal, but it's there!

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures while doing the install. I did make a video though. So, at the risk of my own peril, here is a link directly to the install on YouTube:

I did a quick search regarding forum rules and didn't see anything specific so I hope posting a link doesn't violate any. If it does, please let me know and I will certainly remove it. Not promoting anything, I just want to help.

Oh also, Michael from SCAD told me to use the "tapered" setting. It works like a champ.

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
My apologies, the video link did not go to the right time, the install begins at 4:47.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
@Smunkey Great video. Thanks for the details. I’ll put the SCAD monitor on my project list.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not a LOT less. I compared online. With a sensor, about $20 list difference. I didn't look at tax or shipping

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Since this thread morphed, I’ll chime in again. I got mine from Ferriello and could not be happier. As Peggy said, a small operation with personal service and tech support. I had a question, and you will too, about where to get power for the monitor. He assured me that the draw was extremely small, less than an LED light, so I split it of from a nearby house power line (fused, of course).

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Finally installed the new holding tank vent yesterday. I used Ken's trick to fill the void with foam, then thick epoxy to fill the void. My install looks exactly like @Smunkey except I used the white hose.
My only problem is the thru hull threaded length is about 1/2" too short. I had to put the nut on backwards to catch a few threads.
I find one with longer threads and replace it in a few weeks.
Now I just have to plug the old stanchion vent.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The little holes or slit in the stanchion aren't gonna give you any problem...they're on the aft side of it because they're intended to keep sea water out of the fuel and water tanks (all your tanks are prob'ly vented into stanchions for that reason--a great idea for fuel and water, but not for waste). So I'd leave 'em alone and call the job done if I were you.

--Peggie

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Love it when someone reduces my workload. More time to sail!

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Finally installed the new holding tank vent yesterday. I used Ken's trick to fill the void with foam, then thick epoxy to fill the void. My install looks exactly like @Smunkey except I used the white hose.
My only problem is the thru hull threaded length is about 1/2" too short. I had to put the nut on backwards to catch a few threads.
I find one with longer threads and replace it in a few weeks.
Now I just have to plug the old stanchion vent.
I am having a hard time understanding the removal of the existing vent.

If we want MORE air flow, why not just add the bigger vent and KEEP the existing vent?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If we want MORE air flow, why not just add the bigger vent and KEEP the existing vent?
The existing vent is vertically mounted under the stanchion. A new mushroom vent would be horizontally mounted beneath the rub rail, so a 90 degree turn for the hose. Using both would mean installing a T-connector to connect the two vents right below deck, then attaching the vent hose to this connector. More work for marginal added vent space. Easier to fill the stanchion vent (or cut it off and fill the deck hole) and connect only to the mushroom vent out the side.