Brand new to sailing

Jul 27, 2018
Catalina 22 Texas lakes
I just bought a Catalina 22 1983 model. Does anyone know where I can get a manual for the boat?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Welcome! Best "manual" is right here...this forum. Folks here will provide all the guidance ever needed! There are no stupid questions, and suggest you read a couple years of threads. Post pics of your "new" boat, we like pics! Cheers!!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
It will be the 1978 manual, and just post here for advice.

Jul 27, 2018
Catalina 22 Texas lakes
Lol, I know, right. There is a 3/4 inch hole below the water line right by motor. It looks to have had something there before as there are three screw holes surrounding it. I have no idea what it is.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Lol, I know, right. There is a 3/4 inch hole below the water line right by motor. It looks to have had something there before as there are three screw holes surrounding it. I have no idea what it is.
Leslie...may be the manual bilge pump outlet, mine has one, think it was an option...crawl under and see what's on the other side of the hole and what is connected to it (if anything)...

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Sounds like the bilge pump outlet to me. Make sure it works. That was the first thing a refit when I bought my boat.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is the a bilge pump discharge below the waterline? Seems not a good idea to me.

My guess: A cockpit drain.

Apr 3, 2015
catalina catalina 22 Carolina beach NC
Congrats...i have a 1980...best boat for your first boat...i got the manuals they were not that helpfull. The best way is to get active right here. You have the best info..the best advice right at your finger tips...fair winds....mark rocco

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
Join the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association (www.catalina22.org) and then purchase the Catalina 22 Technical Manual with over 700 pages of content in PDF format at your desktop. Manual includes 2006 Edition, plus 2014 Update, 2017 Update, 2019 Update. A must-have for any new Catalina 22 owner.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
As I recall, there was not much of a manual, but the Catalina 22 Owners Association is a great publication that you should be
able to find on-line by now....They are great boats! ....We raced ours for quite a long time and the Catalina 22 association publications really helped us .....Our fleet here at Ninnescah YC in Wichita went from 3 boats to 25 boats in about a two year period of time...then we had the Nationals here about 6 years later....just fabulous boats for fun and excitement...how many people will remember Joe Becker, owner of Tulsa Sailcraft many years ago..?...Patrick

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
The 78 manual will take you through mast raising, some rigging adjustment, etc that will get you sailing, then you can concentrate on other issues when weather is no good for actually sailing, check this forum and post with pics when you have questions and we will weigh (nautical term) in .

Jul 27, 2018
Catalina 22 Texas lakes
I have to the ropes as they have not been used in 10 years. They are dry rotted. As soon as I get done replacing them I will try to have out on the water.