Bottom paint (yikes)

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hi Everyone,

I bought a 25 yo Catalina Capri 18 almost a year ago. Have not actually sailed it yet, it's been a year of projects. I was hoping to launch Mondy with a 4 day cruise of Grand Traverse Bay.

One thing on the project list I thought I could put off to next year is bottom paint. It's UGLY, but I didn't think it was a deal breaker.

Last night it rained, I had a project to do this morning, so I wiped off a bit of the transom, and blue paint comes off the bottom pretty easily.
image.jpg

My question is, do I need to cancel my trip? Am I going to leave a blue streak in the water behind me? Wake up in the morning with blue everywhere? Am I an ecological disaster waiting to happen?

Previous owner seems to know more about boats than I do. Boat was in good shape for its age. I haven't really seen evidence he did anything bone headed. So hopefully this is not as bad as it looks???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Ablative paint? It wipes of pretty easy vs hard paint that doesn't. Plusses and minuses for both styles. For a week in the water it won't matter either way.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
That's normal and the way ablative paints works. There will not be blue streaks behind you. Go sailing and have fun.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Thanks everyone, that's kind of what I thought - wanted to be sure.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former sailboat dealer you were given good advice. Will be off line for a while Enjoy the boat as I sold them and Frank butler asked my advice from Tim to time on issues and suggestions