Rudder replacement

Jul 26, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Des Moines, IA
I am looking for information on class legal rudder replacements. I looked at the rudders offered by Catalina Direct and they state that the new rudders that they offer are not class legal. Any input or recommendations would be helpful.

I am looking for a rudder because my rudder broke in half last evening. Apparently, water leaked in where the bolt that holds the lower pintle onto the rudder. I would recommend that anyone using an older barn door rudder check and make sure that theses holes have been sealed.

upload_2018-7-26_10-20-19.png

Feb 16, 2017
Interesting that they would say it"s not Class legal as we don't have a class. With that said I bought a new rudder from Rudder Craft. They are using the Catalina 22 rudder which is a bit smaller and thinner. Just sailed Screwpile Regatta last weekend.
Conditions were 10-25 for 3 days puffs to 30 knots. Used large Asymmetrical spinnaker. The boat handled just fine doing 13 knots+. GPS said SOG was 15 knots.....
I still have my old but it will need a lot of work.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
@EditorC22NSA might shed some light on class legality. I don't race, but I have heard from people who do that those Ruddercraft rudders are not a problem.

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
Original message is from a Capri 22 owner. Capri has an Owner's Association, but very little "class" racing. I wouldn't worry about it for a Capri 22. If you must have a class-legal rudder, then two options: 1) Parted out Capri 22, or 2) Purchase from Catalina Yachts.

For a Catalina 22, currently not legal for Catalina 22 racing...especially at Catalina 22 class regional and national level. Local racing (PHRF) could be subject to very unlikely protest by others.

I think Rudder Craft's reference to "not class legal" is simply a general statement to cover themselves. I am sure they don't invest any time researching if a sailboat has an active/valid racing class. So, they make a generalized statement, then let you figure it out.

Last edited: