Will it hold?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
The more I think about it, Mystic Marine Consignment is your best bet, Tom. Perhaps you can come up with a (stronger) rev-2 jury-rig to get you there. Dyneema lashings would be my first choice. Get some 1/4" dyneema and make 4 or 5 turns, then tie at least 4 lashing knots. Good luck. :)
(1/4" Dyneema has a breaking strength over 5,000 pounds, and near-zero stretch.)
(Yes responding to my own post. ) I'd add that Dyneema single braid is slippery, so it's a good idea to tape over the lashing knots to be sure they don't loosen up from "working". It'll probably be stronger than your rigging.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I used a soft shackle for a stainless shackle on my topping lift and made 1000 miles up the coast this year. Just tie it like monofilament fishing line on a hook. You sound like you're near Defender, they could set you up with something, probably overnight.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You will probably be able to find a permanent replacement turnbuckle soon enough. If you can't in New England, give up!

But for a jury rig, there are many other things you can do, limited only by the tools and materials available nearby or on hand.

You could get some flat steel bar, perhaps scrap stainless, make two pieces with holes in the ends; slack the opposing shroud and bolt this to the rigging eyes. Then tighten up the rig.

Similarly, you could use s short piece of chain between those quick links, selecting it so that a number of links can be selected that is close to the tightened turnbuckle length, and install as above.

Salvage a turnbuckle - is there a baby stay or some other rigging that is non-critical?

T Dunn

May 23, 2018
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
Rigging Only (riggingonly.com) in Fairhaven, MA can get a turnbuckle to you in one day. If you must sail lash it with dyneema or equivalent. Fortunately it is only a lower, so you are unlikely to lose the spar and there is no risk of your spar buckling as mentioned above.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
tom's turnbuckles are inclosed. my alden had the same. there is no hole for a wire. 1950's style gear from denmark.
Aha, yes that is a problem, may be why did not notice the threaded portion backing out until too late.