Sail Balancing on a 9.2A

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
The wind does catch the bow...on the S2. I wonder what the limits are sailing to wind in a 30 foot boat with comparable sail area...as far as a point of diminishing returns, or no longer making headway. Could be a big deal.....for instance, according to earth.nullschool.net its blowing 30 knot winds from Cuba to Columbia right now...at what point of sail would you be limited to as opposed to say a 45' sailboat with much more sail area?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
When the wind is that high I go main only. Makes life much easier. Just steer and let the boom flop over when you tack. In the event that I want to be able to point a little better I go jib only with the jib only partially rolled out. Again, pointing ain't great but a little better. What I will NOT do but that I see all the time, is pinch my way around the bay with the sails flagging all over the place. Bad form and bad for the sails.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It sure is fun to go out and play in 30 knot winds and the 9.2 is pretty forgiving. Personally, I prefer roller furling with a foam or rope luff to keep shape as you furl the sail. I have a 135 and still get decent shape rolled up to 80. As I solo a lot, when I replace my 135 I am tempted to get something a bit smaller, a 110 or even smaller and to try to set it up to self tend.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
She feels...bow strong in decent wind. I think your right...100 or even 80. At 80% you feel like you could rig it to self tac?

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Thanks for fantastic replies...I learned a lot. Its not so much cost as it is investment vs saving and final boat decisions....she may not be blue water investment worthy. She may be a great seamanship trainer and basic is best for that. I imagine after three years of hanking on sails with no autopilot and sprinting from helm to bow to helm When I finally have a curler in my hand....Ill figure it out pretty quick...........mean time, I'm going to get an 80% hank on head sail quote.....bonus at work and substantial more in the sailboat fund

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Lake boat...used sails...for now.
New 80%jib quote 1678 beers. Es mucho. 10% of boat value. I approached 20 knot plus winds this weekend with an aim of balancing what I have. Depowering by travler adjustment...reefing...finding a non flogging trim...forereaching and point of sail changes....seem to work ok at easing the helm work. Running just the main seemed under powered at 20knt but anything more and the main would be ideal. Running with just the jib closed haul was like nirvana, so Ill hoard cash for now and blue water dream in turbid waters aboard my beautiful s2. One thing about tricking out my girl vs finding another more....sail endowed gal is come refit day it's all new. This new girl may, despite a survey, turn out trashy and eat into my port fees and my bait and tackle money. My s2 may be slower but I will have laid hands on everything and have logged hundreds of hours climbing on thousands really.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Yes.....that gushy feeling. I got it sowing my new jib halyard to the old one and then pulling in the new. The crisp feel of new lines....the smell

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Lake boat...used sails...for now.
New 80%jib quote 1678 beers.
If I understand that to be $1,678 for and 80% jib that sure seems very high. Your money but call around and get some more prices. I went with Precision and couldn't be happier. Also several boats in our club run Precision with no issues and only positive reviews.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Beer$.....I thought it was very high too. In Dallas they need to pad their ticket I guess. Precision Sails...thanks

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
In 30 knots I'd suggest putting a reef in before you leave and just the main. The 9.2A will sail fine under those conditions with just that. As you noted, just the area of the bow is enough to get her head around tacking.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Thanks....I won't be sailing in high winds any time soon...I have 2 bulk heads to replace. Ya....with 2 rotting bulk heads your S2 9.2 A will handle high winds fine.....Or at least twice. All this is in another post about my sailboat training