Removing cabin ceiling Pearson 28-2

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Pearson Pearson 28-2 Deale, MD
I have varnished my cabin top handrails several times with mixed results. I'd love to take them off the boat to do a better jobut cannot see how to remove the interior ceiling to get at the fasteners. Anyone done this before?
Thanks.
Jim

May 20, 2015
Pearson 39-2 33 Annapolis
I can't be sure, but I'm going to guess that the interior handrails and exterior are screwed through (with wood screws). In that case, they would be removable by removing the bungs in both and unscrewing. I'll take a closer look today. But anyone who has a better idea should chime in. You might post this on the FB 28-2 group as well.

Luke

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Thanks. I can't see any bungs that align where the screws should be. Worse comes to worse I may make some.

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Luke, I'm also making two "catbird" seats for the boat. Will post process and final results. Easier than I originally thought.

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Relearned, or remembered something once again. Went on our shakedown yesterday and saw how the inside and topside handrails are exactly opposite. Then I remembered, the handrails have plugs an top above where the handrail contacts the deck/ceiling. Drill them out and there's the screw!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@JimLor generally you do not need to drill the bungs out. Use a sheet rock screw. Drive it into the bung. The screw will contact the sunken screw forcing the bung up and out most of the time not damaging the hand rail. The bung will sometimes break apart. Then just back the sunken screws out and lift the hand rails off.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Make sure you label the screws...... they were cut in place and specific to each exact hole. Makes life easy.....
Yes experience!

Greg

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Thanks Greg, I'll do that. It'll be nice to be able to do a good job finishing them off the boat.

JimLor

Nov 21, 2011
Tried the drywall screw trick the other day. Worked, but pulled some wood out besides the plug. I did this on the outside and rather then finding a screw top, I found the bottom end of a bolt and nut. The insid/outside handrails are put on with one bolt from the inside. I will repair the hole/damage to the outside handrail and work on the finish while it is still attached. Not worth the potential damage to pull the plugs on the pristine inside handrails to work on the outside. Experience gained and will move on!