SBO Cook Book - Cooking for Cruisers and Racers

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
... The spatter, excess grease, and flame-up risk are not worth it...
View attachment 153862
Here's how to eliminate those problems, at least on a cooktop that allows for good heat control: Cut uncooked bacon strips in half, then cook at low temperature. If you get any splatter, your pan is too hot. Also with low heat, there is no need to flip the bacon lots of times; I sometimes flip it just once. When the bacon is nearly done the way you like it, pour the grease into another pan and cook your eggs in that. Or remove the bacon when done and cook the eggs in the same pan. If you are making scrambled eggs, the bacon grease will disappear, and you will get the tastiest, most satiating breakfast ever.

Health tips: Cook with sugar-free, uncured bacon. Do not include fruit, sugar, bread, bagels, muffins, coffee cake, juice, mimosas, etc. when eating bacon and bacon-grease eggs. If you do eat sugary and/or starchy foods, your body will go into the fat-storing mode and all that grease will be converted to adipose tissue, and you will soon be hungry. If you don't eat the carbs, your body will slow-burn that fat and you can have a very active morning without getting hungry for several hours.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I like bacon (on anything!) but am not a fan of cooking it on the boat. The spatter, excess grease, and flame-up risk are not worth it. So we used to bring backpacking bricks of pre-cooked bacon, but now has switched to Costco. Keeps kinda forever.
Here's how to eliminate those problems, at least on a cooktop that allows for good heat control: Cut uncooked bacon strips in half, then cook at low temperature. If you get any splatter, your pan is too hot. Also with low heat, there is no need to flip the bacon lots of times; I sometimes flip it just once. When the bacon is nearly done the way you like it, pour the grease into another pan and cook your eggs in that. Or remove the bacon when done and cook the eggs in the same pan. If you are making scrambled eggs, the bacon grease will disappear, and you will get the tastiest, most satiating breakfast ever.

Health tips: Cook with sugar-free, uncured bacon. Do not include fruit, sugar, bread, bagels, muffins, coffee cake, juice, mimosas, etc. when eating bacon and bacon-grease eggs. If you do eat sugary and/or starchy foods, your body will go into the fat-storing mode and all that grease will be converted to adipose tissue, and you will soon be hungry. If you don't eat the carbs, your body will slow-burn that fat and you can have a very active morning without getting hungry for several hours.
Its easy if you have a lid that fits your frying pan. Or one universal lid that fits all your boat cookware

Universal Pan Lid $18.99

Universal Lid.jpg

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
.... I left before the deal was done, but it seemed that sustainable fisheries were just not on the agenda. I wonder if there are still grouper there?
My personal observations: There are still grouper in The Bahamas, but they are declining, as are all other reef fish except for lionfish. I actually see more grouper than hogfish snapper, which used to be more plentiful than grouper, or at least easier to spear. The Bahamians who I've talked to give credit to the no-take regulations of the Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park for keeping the grouper population from being completely wiped out. I think that another factor is the regulation that outlaws scuba-assisted spearfishing and allows only Hawaiian slings and pole spears. Silver lining: lionfish are delicious and there are gazillions of them (but many Bahamians will not take them or even allow them on their boats, due to the 18 venomous spines per lionfish).

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Our signature dish on our boat is steak salad. It's always a hit, even with our kids. I bring tortillas and make wraps out of it for easier (though messy) eating. We make the dressing/marinade at home and marinate the steak while we sail. Late afternoon we'll anchor, kick back, and eventually I make my way to the Magma grill to grill the steak.

Dressing/Marinade
3/4 cups canola oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot chili oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt Lots of freshly ground black pepper​

Mix it up and shake it up. Use half for the marinade, half for the dressing. Marinate your steak in a big ziploc bag, getting all the air out and putting it in another container in case it leaks. Take the steak out of the fridge at least an hour before grilling to let it warm up. Make a double batch if you have more than 2 pounds to marinate

Salad:
Marinated steak, sliced thin (I use top sirloin, about a half pound per person and there's never any left over)
Mixed greens (we use something called a Spring Mix which has many different kinds of greens in it. Use whatever is available)
crumbled blue cheese
cherry tomatoes, cut in half, or slice romas
French's caramelized onions
glazed pecan pieces
Dressing (recipe above)
Tortilla or wrap (if you wish to eat it as a wrap as I do)​

Assemble as you wish, eat, and enjoy with a glass of wine or beer.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our signature dish on our boat is steak salad. It's always a hit, even with our kids. I bring tortillas and make wraps out of it for easier (though messy) eating. We make the dressing/marinade at home and marinate the steak while we sail. Late afternoon we'll anchor, kick back, and eventually I make my way to the Magma grill to grill the steak.

Dressing/Marinade
3/4 cups canola oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot chili oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt Lots of freshly ground black pepper​

Mix it up and shake it up. Use half for the marinade, half for the dressing. Marinate your steak in a big ziploc bag, getting all the air out and putting it in another container in case it leaks. Take the steak out of the fridge at least an hour before grilling to let it warm up. Make a double batch if you have more than 2 pounds to marinate

Salad:
Marinated steak, sliced thin (I use top sirloin, about a half pound per person and there's never any left over)
Mixed greens (we use something called a Spring Mix which has many different kinds of greens in it. Use whatever is available)
crumbled blue cheese
cherry tomatoes, cut in half, or slice romas
French's caramelized onions
glazed pecan pieces
Dressing (recipe above)
Tortilla or wrap (if you wish to eat it as a wrap as I do)​

Assemble as you wish, eat, and enjoy with a glass of wine or beer.
Have you ever tried it w/chicken breasts? Sounds like it would be good for those as well. Good steak is not available to us often.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I love a really dark chicken and sausage gumbo during cool weather.. I make it at home and seal it into "boil bags" , complete with rice .. the bags are two person servings.. freeze them ..put them into the ice box as part of the ice.. when ya hungry, you can put the bag in a pot of seawater and boil it until the gumbo is hot.. Cut one corner off the bag and pour it into a couple of bowls.. and have a fine hearty meal !

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Grouper... Redfish, Swordfish, Striped Bass, Cod, Flounder, Menhaden, Sardines - all overfished for their economic value. Fish may be good for humans to consume. But human consumption isn't good for fish.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Have you ever tried it w/chicken breasts? Sounds like it would be good for those as well. Good steak is not available to us often.
I haven't, but I bet it would be good if as long as the chicken isn't marinated too long.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When the chicken starts to turn green or you see a fuzzy coating on the skin... TOO. LONG.
If there develops an offensive ordor.... TOO LONG
When your guest says, I just started a vegetarian diet... TOO. LONG.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Grilled Pizza on CHRISTMAS.

Grilling is the 50-yard dash of pizza cooking.

Mise en place on the lazaret, there's no time to waste once you start: Spread a Supermarket frozen dough ball (after thawing per directions) on a well Olive oiled surface until about 1/2" thick.

The dough should have enough 'body' to lift and handle. Flip it over a few times to get the dough coated in the oil.

Grilled Pizza prep.jpg

On a clean, hot (medium heat) grill, gingerly lay the dough on the grill rack. Close lid.

In just a couple - few minutes, lift a side of the dough with tongs and work it loose from the grill. As soon as it has enough body to lift it off the grill with tongs and a spatula, flip it over.

QUICKLY NOW! Brush the smoking hot browned top with Olive oil and sprinkle on: Fresh coarsely chopped garlic, grated cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, what have you), thin slices of fresh tomatoes (we like to dry them on a paper towel first), fresh fragrant basil leaves and finally sea salt and freshly ground pepper, close the lid and turn the grill on low.

FORGOT, we added slices of pepperoni. Do it!

If you did the above fast enough (another set of hands helps), the bottom will be just beginning to brown. But in a minute or two, lift and edge to be sure the bottom isn't charring. Give it a turn when you check.

If your timing and grill temperature work out, the crust will be light and airy - fully cooked - with a crispy toasty crust, and the toppings melted and hot.

Grilled Pizza finish.jpg