South African "Catalina" 22

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Update on keel box: Trying to remove old blistered gel coat from inside

Many moons ago I asked @CloudDiver for some advice on removing the old gel coat... his reply was something along the lines of "get creative"! Lets see what you guys think of my creativity!

If you look back through my thread you will see I modified a hole saw to be used with a drill to clean the round ends of the keel box and slot out, removing the majority of the old rotten gel coat. Then I used a sanding disk on the drill and went as far as I could down into the slot clearing away the old gel coat. That's how it has stood for the last year or so.

Latest effort saw me trying to make a contraption out of my angle grinder, two rear one way sprockets from a kiddies bicycle and a bicycle chain to get down into the slot. It is however to narrow and probably would have proved fatal if used! Either frustration or sanity prevailed and I simply made use of what we call "domkrag" in South Africa! Said angle grinder sanding discs, 36 grit, mounted onto a sturdy plank and my "garden executive"... he made good progress but still not enough before the sun went down.

I then purchased as big as I could get from my local hardware store - a bastard file rasp! I then epoxied this thing onto another sturdy plank and had a go myself the next day at the slot. I don't have the "dom" part of the "krag" and quickly decided this was no good. Plan "b" follows...

These photos are from before plan "b"...

I have an idea for you. If you have a Sawzall type reciprocating saw.

sawzalls.jpg

Buy a nice stiff blade for it. I would suggest a pruning blade as they are long enough and quite stiff.
sawzall pruning blade.jpg
Drill several holes in the blade to attach a wooden/metal extension to it so it can reach the bottom of your keel pocket. Then add a piece of plywood sized to hold a half sheet of sand paper. you now have a skinny reciprocating sander that can reach the bottom of the pocket.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have an idea for you. If you have a Sawzall type reciprocating saw.

View attachment 153841
Buy a nice stiff blade for it. I would suggest a pruning blade as they are long enough and quite stiff.
View attachment 153842
Drill several holes in the blade to attach a wooden/metal extension to it so it can reach the bottom of your keel pocket. Then add a piece of plywood sized to hold a half sheet of sand paper. you now have a skinny reciprocating sander that can reach the bottom of the pocket.

Genius!!

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I never removed all of the gelcoat from inside the keel box... that would have been murder even if power tools were involved. I basically held sanding discs with my fingers and hand sanded with 60 grit and then 80 grit as deep as I could. My arm is slender enough to reach most of the way down. I was able to use a small foam roller to paint the barrier coat on all the way to the top (or bottom, since my hull was inverted).

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Boat is looking great !
1) Where did you source that C22 blueprint ?
2) Are you trying to compete with @CloudDiver or are you his lost cousin ? The photos are starting to look similar. ;)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Rudder mountings on transom.... can some kind soul please measure the position of the transom mounts for the rudder from the bottom of the transom upward. Thanks in advance!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Boat is looking great !
1) Where did you source that C22 blueprint ?
2) Are you trying to compete with @CloudDiver or are you his lost cousin ? The photos are starting to look similar. ;)
Hi LR, blue print downloaded off internet Jaguar 22 forum from UK. It was about beefing up the mast compression post support. Yahoo group for Jaguar 22 in UK under downloads. I think

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Rudder mountings on transom.... can some kind soul please measure the position of the transom mounts for the rudder from the bottom of the transom upward. Thanks in advance!
I assume they are all the same. (Mine is an 87 and it's measurements are)
1) Bottom of transom at centre to bottom of lower Gudgeon = 6 inches
2) Bottom of transom at centre to bottom of upper gudgeon = 18 inches
(12 inches between gudgeons)

I have the upgraded larger 1/2 gudgeons from CD but the brackets are not much different in height:
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/249_79/gudgeon-old-style-38.cfm
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/299_79/gudgeon-12-bushed-retrofit-4-bolt-hole.cfm

EDIT: I will update this post with gudegeon measurement so bolt centres can be calculated. Gimme10 mins.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
EDIT: I will update this post with gudegeon measurement so bolt centres can be calculated. Gimme10 mins.
10 mins is up! ;)

No actually that's perfect thanks. I'm having to go with mountings available locally so the holes are not the issue. It was more about the where vertically. I completely rebuilt the transom on the inside and glass cloth and epoxy coated the outside so there are no holes to guide me and silly me was so "gung-ho" to get the job done I simply did not take time to record measurements!

I need to build a new rudder completely as well... still!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Painting update: The stripes for the water line/boot line (which ever you prefer!) and the cove line as I have heard it referred to!

I have decided to go with a light blue colour - International Toplac - Bondi Blue colour. This was taken late at night and only took one for record keeping purposes! This was also the first coat of the blue. masking tape is also blue so makes the stripes look wider than they really are ... look between the lines as it were :)

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Righto... so the first coat of blue paint has been flatted down with water paper and the second coat of blue paint has gone on. In order to call this part of the project completed I waited just long enough for the second coat to dry so that I could rip off the masking take. This was before I get the silly notion of flatting down and putting on a third coat!

So as of today the hull bottom and side are done... woohoo, and all! It's been a long slog but it's done.

What is next you may ask... the deck, cockpit, coach roof and hatches!

Pictures were taken at night.

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
So an early morning daylight shot of my boat ready to turn upright and the keel loaded onto my "truck" ready to go to the sandblasters!

I hope to be able to have the boat upright by the end of this coming weekend...

Attachments

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
As a guy who fiddles around with wood, that is one beautiful post! I'm going to have to look into Balau now that you mentioned it. I used quite a bit of Mahogany on my boat when I replaced some wood parts since teak is so hard and expensive to find. It's great to see your progress, keep up the good work.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
As a guy who fiddles around with wood, that is one beautiful post! I'm going to have to look into Balau now that you mentioned it. I used quite a bit of Mahogany on my boat when I replaced some wood parts since teak is so hard and expensive to find. It's great to see your progress, keep up the good work.
Thanks. I do like the post but it may be a bit overkill for my small 22 cabin. Still a ways off from actually installing it.

Not long before Balau becomes a scarce commodity the way it is being used up in the decking industry worldwide!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
S'pose been a bit quiet... but stuff has been happening! ;)

I got the keel back from the sand blasters... aside from the expected surface pitting and corrosion it is actually in very good shape from what I have seen of other keels on this website. So I will spend some time this coming weekend smoothing down the leading and trailing edges, cutting and shaping the lifting eye-bolt slot and then drilling and tapping out the thread for the eye-bolt. Then a coat of epoxy resin, then a bit of fairing... phew hope I'm not being too ambitious!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
I also did some fiberglass work to finish off the laminating of the transom and the underside of the rear decks where the original plywood was never sealed/coated/covered from day one of being built.

The transom you can see in a previous post where I cut out the inner lining and completely re-laminated it with new marine plywood. Here I am just finishing of the joints between the plywood sections as well as filleting around the edge and hull sides. The photo is showing working in progress.

The rear under deck areas I just dried out the wood by letting it stand for ... erm, two years now... sanded with 60 grit, wiped down with acetone and then CSM glassed over with polyester resin. At some stage I will paint inside these areas. I also added several layers of CSM cloth in areas where the rear stays eye-bolts will mount, the rear fairleads/cleats and the foresail winches will mount. The photos are showing work in progress.

Boat currently still upside down...

Then I have also been busy with the male mould plug for the keelbox "sleeve insert" that I am going to install. The mould is being covered with CSM and ploy-resin to get it to correct thickness.

So stuffs happening and progress is being made... slowly :(

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
That keel looks MUCH better than most. Most C22 keels that you see online were U.S. built boats with keels cast in Mexico, at a time when they were not known for manufacturing.