Rigging

Jun 6, 2018
Catalina 22 Lake Bde Maka Ska
I am fairly new to sailing. My wife and I are actually taking our second lesson today! We purchased a 1974 Catalina 22 in very nice condition. The little boats that we are learning on are great and we have learned how to rig them but they are simple compared to ours. I have the orig manual that came with the boat, but it doesn't tell you how to do the rigging. Does anyone have a step by step diagram or know where I can find/buy one. Thanks for any input!

Jun 6, 2018
Thank you JRacer, I have checked there but didn't find it there. I haven't reached out to anyone there yet.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Ask your sailing instructor to give you a hand. But the person who sold you the boat should have shown you how to set it up.... since you probably don't even know if all the parts are there.
Anyhow, I googled this for you? Good luck.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Sailingaway22 welcome to the forum.
There are several references to links about the Catalina 22.
What about the rigging concerns you?
Where the lines run? How tight the stays need to be?

Jun 6, 2018
Thank You everyone for the great advice. We bought her at an auction at our daughters elementary school, it was donated by one of the staff. She is complete. The diagrams and links are very helpful and our sailing instructor also offered to help if we run into problems. BTW winning bid was $450.00.

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
Thank You everyone for the great advice. We bought her at an auction at our daughters elementary school, it was donated by one of the staff. She is complete. BTW winning bid was $450.00.
UNREAL!!!! I LOVE stories like this!!! Congratulations!!!! We can sympathize with your questions about rigging. We, too, just bought our first sailboat, a 1984 Catalina 22, earlier this month. We were very surprised that you can learn pretty much anything - how to sail it, how to raise the mast, etc. from online videos and searches, but there are no books and no comprehensive references anywhere that teaches you HOW to put together your own sailboat. :) Post specific questions you have. You may have better luck and more responses if you post directly into the Cat 22 forum page. :thumbup:

Here is a link to a thread we started with questions about how to rig our 1984 .
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...hing-the-boom-leads-to-more-questions.191841/

I also see that this thread is a few weeks old, and you may already be sailing by now. If you are, AWESOME! :)

Jun 6, 2018
Siren - Thank you for your response. Yes, I have figured out the rigging using the advice of folks like yourself in this chat, various sites and some good old common sense. She is in the water and is being enjoyed by our family and friends. By far the best $450 I have ever spent!!!