Is it optional for a sailor to drink Beer?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This thought occurred to me. Then I read...

One night at Cheers,a TV Sitcom,Cliff Clavin said to his buddy, Norm Peterson:
"Well, ya see Normmy, it's like this ... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back of the pack that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole herd keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But, naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers!”​

Cheers...:beer:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The problem is.. it also seems to INCREASE the number of cells in the abdomen. :(

Maybe this is due to increased cell reproduction... Does that mean that you get to reproduce more, the more beer you drink ?
That't not been my observational experience though.

Best to drink rum or wine. :)
(he said as he consumes a Michelada before heading out to service some wenches... err winches)

Maybe @Kermit and @Will Gilmore can enlighten ?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It could be that alcohol doesn't kill brain cells, it kidnaps them and holds them for ransom in the abdomen. Of course, since alcohol only got the slowest weakest brain cells, the remaining brain cells are too smart to pay the ransom and get the little weaklings back. Thus, the abdomen becomes over crowded.
Just a thought. I'm sure Kermit will have better information on the subject than I.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The problem is.. it also seems to INCREASE the number of cells in the abdomen. :(
:laugh:
And some people DO NOT CARE! Let it all hang out...

No parkin' by the sewer sign
Hot dog, my razor's broke
Water drippin' up the spout
But I don't care, let it all hang out

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
lol unless you are in the Bahamas!! that's when I switched to rum

A bottle of beer in grocery- $6.00, $36 a six pack. A liter of decent rum? $7.00 You do the math :)
But how much is ice?? ;-)

But I agree. When in Rome.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
From "The Legend of Bagger Vance."

Rannulph Junnah: Now, the question on the table is how drunk is drunk enough? And the answer is that it's all a matter of brain cells

Hardy Greaves: Brain cells?

Rannulph Junnah: That's right Hardy. You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That's ok, that's ok, because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough sons of bitches to kill.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I'm shocked that there's even a discussion here. Shocked I tell you.
What were we talking about?

Oct 22, 2014
Beer has been described as an elixir. With mysterious medicinal properties.

“Beer: Helping ugly people have sex since 3000 B.C.”
W. C. Fields

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That's ok, that's ok, because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough sons of bitches to kill.
JS is right, first it is the slow and the weak. :cool:
You see, that's why I try to just let my mind go, have its fun while it still can. So sad to see brain cells spend their whole lives corralled up and confined only to be killed (or kidnapped) in the end. It's more humane to give them their freedom while they have it.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
'Suds make for happy sailors'

That was the tag-line of the WYC Commodore who initiated the scheme to have two kegs tapped after every race, a tradition of free beer that have continued non-stop for over 25 years. But times to change. Due to members asking, we also tap two boxes of wine for wine drinkers!

Roll with the changes.

Oct 22, 2014
I try to just let my mind go, have its fun while it still can. So sad to see brain cells spend their whole lives corralled up and confined only to be killed (or kidnapped) in the end.
While beer has no bearing on this next offering, I had just taken a sip of a fine brew. I let it awaken my slow cells. Then I nearly gagged as I read....

An extraordinarily handsome man decided he had the responsibility to marry the perfect woman so they could produce beautiful children beyond compare.

With that as his mission he began to search for the perfect woman.

Shortly thereafter he met a Redneck who had three stunning, gorgeous daughters that positively took his breath away. So he explained his mission to the Redneck and asked for permission to marry one of them.

The Redneck simply replied, "They're lookin' to get married, so you came to the right place. Look 'em over and pick the one you want."

The man dated the first daughter. The next day the Redneck asked for the man's opinion.

"Well," said the man, "she's just a weeeeee bit, not that you can hardly notice...pigeon-toed."

The Redneck nodded and suggested the man date one of the other girls; so the man went out with the second daughter.

The next day, the Redneck again asked how things went.

"Well,"the man replied, "she's just a weeeee bit, not that you can hardly tell..cross-eyed."

The Redneck nodded and suggested he date the third girl to see if things might be better. So he did.

The next morning the man rushed in exclaiming, "She's perfect, just perfect. She's the one I want to marry."

So they were wed right away. Months later the baby was born. When the man visited the nursery he was horrified: the baby was the ugliest, most pathetic human you can imagine. He rushed to his father-in-law and asked how such a thing could happen considering the beauty of the parents.

"Well," explained the Redneck... "She was just a weeeee bit, not that you could hardly tell... pregnant when you met her."

upload_2018-7-18_8-25-54.png

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
But how much is ice?? ;-)

But I agree. When in Rome.
That is why I just ordered one of these.
Ice Machine.jpg Ice Machine interior.jpg
Igloo Compact Countertop Ice Cube Maker - Choose Your Color $15.99

Product Features
  1. Compact Ice Maker in Stainless Steel
  2. Enjoy a batch of ice in as little as 6 minutes
  3. Produces 26lbs of ice per day in choice of 2 ice sizes
  4. Stores up to 1.5 lbs of ice at a time
  5. 2.3 Quart Reservoir with Electronic LED Controls
Dimensions:
  • Product Depth (in.): 15" Inches
  • Product Height (in.): 14.5" Inches
  • Product Width (in.): 11.25" Inches
Always have Ice for the Dark and Stormies.

Last edited: