Rigging a Sirius 21

Jul 17, 2018
Sirius 21 Pointe Claire mooring basin
I am new to this site and to sailing and have recently bought a Sirius 21. I love the boat but I am having problems figuring out how to properly rig the boom, rudder etc. I have read through the available posts but did not find the info. I would really appreciate some photos! I tried the Yahoo site but it wont accept my email. Thanks!

dsims

Sep 22, 2017
Sirius 21 Clear Lake
I can try to help you. Do you have specific questions about the boom or rudder?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Westislandsavage always willing to lend a hand, It would help is we could start somewhere and then step by step get it accomplished. From your message I am assuming this is your first adventure and the person that sold you the boat did not provide any guidance.
I have never rigged a "Sirrus21" but I have rigged a lot of other sloop rigged boats and I suspect we can solve this one as well.
I looked on line for some pictures and it appears the Sirrus 21 uses a Transom rigged boom. Something like these.
TransomRig.png rig5-5.jpg
If you can load a few pictures of your boat and the parts it would help... I found these online.
Sirrus21 A.JPG Sirrus21 B.JPG Sirrus21 C.jpg
Pretty much you start at the transom with a line, go up to the boom, back to the transom, around the block back up to the boom, then to the transom and around the block. The sail moves back and forth across the boat and you tighten the sheet as needed. Relatively simple as rigs go.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="jssailem, post: 1471341, member: 127717...Pretty much you start at the transom with a line, go up to the boom, back to the transom, around the block back up to the boom, then to the transom and around the block. The sail moves back and forth across the boat and you tighten the sheet as needed. Relatively simple as rigs go.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Kermit can get the Swedish Chef to explain it for you?

dsims

Sep 22, 2017
Sirius 21 Clear Lake
@Westislandsavage always willing to lend a hand, It would help is we could start somewhere and then step by step get it accomplished. From your message I am assuming this is your first adventure and the person that sold you the boat did not provide any guidance.
I have never rigged a "Sirrus21" but I have rigged a lot of other sloop rigged boats and I suspect we can solve this one as well.
I looked on line for some pictures and it appears the Sirrus 21 uses a Transom rigged boom. Something like these.
View attachment 153884 View attachment 153885
If you can load a few pictures of your boat and the parts it would help... I found these online.
View attachment 153886 View attachment 153889 View attachment 153890
Pretty much you start at the transom with a line, go up to the boom, back to the transom, around the block back up to the boom, then to the transom and around the block. The sail moves back and forth across the boat and you tighten the sheet as needed. Relatively simple as rigs go.
Spot on. I was going to look for a photo of my rig, since it is currently on the trailer. That is exactly how I rig my boom.

Jul 17, 2018
Thanks a lot guys! I'll try to send some photos tomorrow.
(The Swedish chef was my favorite, second place goes to Animal)

Jul 17, 2018
I am actually trying to figure out the rudder, i can understand that the lower white part fits onto a bolt on the piece above, but how is it raised and lowered?
20180721_105159.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
If that is the rudder not a center board... Which it looks to be.
Flip it 180 degrees. The rope goes to the aft the bolt goes forward. The cutout appears to sit over a piece of the black metal bracket of the upper rudder wood piece. The rope is attached to the cleat to hole the rudder down. Remove the rudder rope from the cleat, lean out over the rudder and lift the rudder (which should be aided because the rudder likely floats a bit) with the attached rope when you ride up ont the beach for a party.

dsims

Sep 22, 2017
Sirius 21 Clear Lake
If that is the rudder not a center board... Which it looks to be.
Flip it 180 degrees. The rope goes to the aft the bolt goes forward. The cutout appears to sit over a piece of the black metal bracket of the upper rudder wood piece. The rope is attached to the cleat to hole the rudder down. Remove the rudder rope from the cleat, lean out over the rudder and lift the rudder (which should be aided because the rudder likely floats a bit) with the attached rope when you ride up ont the beach for a party.

I will have to go look at mine to confirm, but I think you are incorrect. I would guess someone replaced the original wood lower unit with a new fiberglass one. My lower piece matches the top piece. The bolt hole in the upper right of the photo connects to the bolt on the lower left of the black metal bracket as a hinge point. If I remember right, and I'll go look at my rudder to confirm, the rope goes straight down from the cleat to hold the rudder in the up position.

I double check this. I don't usually raise my rudder, as I don't put it on until in the water and don't normally run into the shallows where I need to. Its been a while.

dsims

Sep 22, 2017
Sirius 21 Clear Lake
Ok, here is my rudder. The rope from the cleat attaches to the bracket on the rear of the rudder and is used to pull the rudder horizontal for beaching. My rudder then has a bungee along the leading edge to pull the rudder back to the vertical. I am not sure if the bungee is original design, or something my dad modified when he owned the boat.

Attachments

Jul 17, 2018
Thanks for all of the replies. I took it off the boat and figured that this is what it should look like in the lowered position. I assume i will just add a line from the two black brackets to pull it up.
20180722_202021.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Well that helps. The rope holds the rudder down. Why not.

dsims

Sep 22, 2017
Sirius 21 Clear Lake
Awesome! I wish we were too, but weather and work have crippled us this summer and we haven't taken Whisper out yet. We were supposed to last weekend, but the wind was dead calm so we decided to wait.