Hunter 49 /50 fuel filter mounting. GOOD idea

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Ok, I know that it seems that I'm looking for things to improve upon, and I never seem to run out
On my 49 I needed to replace the Yanmar fuel filter because it was leaking.
I posted a previous article with an alternative mounting scheme which made it very easy to remove using threaded studs that I attached to a sub-plate.
But, the filter was still essentially in the same location.
When it was time to replace it, I felt that access, especially for replacing the filter cartridge, was too low.
So, easy fix.
I fabricated an aluminum right angle plate, and attached it to the stainless bars which hold the fuel tank in place.
Now the filter is mounted nice and high, away from the wall. And the mounting is so incredibly strong, it is very easy to disassemble the cartridge.
Bonus !!!
Because it is mounted so high, you can put a pot underneath to catch any fuel when swapping cartridges. No leaks to clean up from the hull underneath.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Nice job. I have a filter just like that and I found that that detail on top of the filter is perfect for a large adjustable wrench. So to loosen the filter I just place the wrench on and twist the filter body with a strap wrench. Works perfectly and applies no load at all to the mounting detail.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Just some details on how I did this easily
You will notice two 5-1/16 bolts holding the stainless tank frame together.
I simply drilled holes in my L bracket to catch these holes, and that's how it's solidly mounted
Then I drilled & tapped the two 1/4-20 holes for the studs.
You simply pop the filter onto the studs, and wind on the nuts.
Couldn't be easier