Re-connecting Holding tank in my 1984 H31

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
At some point prior to the boat coming into my possession someone isolated the head from the holding tank thereby allowing the head to discharge overboard. The discharge hose on the head looks fairly new. The hose going to the deck pump out fitting is missing (I suspect it was cut somewhere in that area in the starboard side where the hoses disappear). My tank is a fibreglass one molded into the boat and from what I see is in pretty good shape (fittings all look good). I am trying to figure out exactly how the system worked in its original form. Inside the little access door there is a manual pump and two Y valves. I drew it all out on paper as it is configured and it appears that there must have been a T fitting in the overboard discharge hose from the head, thus allowing it to also be used as an overboard discharge from the tank. Has anyone else run into such a setup? I already read all the posts relating to holding tanks and could find no answer to my question about the T fitting. I would like to put the holding tank back into the system and would really like to find a diagram of the original system. Any forthcoming info would be greatly appreciated. Reg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
How it was plumbed originally may not be the best way to do it 'cuz boat builder are the WORST sanitation system designers and plumbers on the planet! The right way is actually pretty simple and I'll be glad to help you design it. My book (see link in my signature below) includes detailed instructions, but every boat has its own quirks so I'll be glad to help you one-on-one to get right the first time if you'd like to send me a PM.
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
For sure listen to Peggie! ..
The original was not too bad.. Toilet flushed straight to the holding tank, no valves.. Holding tank outlet had a tee with one side going to the deck pump out plate and the other side of the tee going to a manual diaphragm pump like a Whale Gusher.. From the pump the hose went to a high vented loop then down to a bronze thru-hull. This is legal everywhere.. as long as the valve is locked when in a no discharge zone.. Unlocked, it allows you to pump the tank out when you are in a place where that is OK..

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
For sure listen to Peggie! ..
The original was not too bad.. Toilet flushed straight to the holding tank, no valves.. Holding tank outlet had a tee with one side going to the deck pump out plate and the other side of the tee going to a manual diaphragm pump like a Whale Gusher.. From the pump the hose went to a high vented loop then down to a bronze thru-hull. This is legal everywhere.. as long as the valve is locked when in a no discharge zone.. Unlocked, it allows you to pump the tank out when you are in a place where that is OK..
I wonder if they did them all that way? The whole setup in mine looks like it was original and there are two Y valves and a manual pump and no thru hull except the one behind the head.

Nov 6, 2006
All the h-31's and 34's were plumbed that way from the factory.. There should be a small thru-hull (0.75") to feed the toilet , and a large one 1.5 "where the hand pump/vented loop dumped.. It was common to put a "Y" in to avoid filling the holding tank.

Nov 6, 2006
Found it: The plumbing diagram for the H-31 showing the connections, hose sizes, locations, etc.. The resolution is good enough to zoom in and see stuff..
EDIT.. Attached for your files is a wiring diagram as well..

Attachments

Last edited:

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Thanks Kloudie, that is what I was looking for and it answers my question about the extra Y valve I have, it must have been an option.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I found a better way to plumb it on my H31. I kept the hose from the head to the holding tank. For the return I used PVC pipe from the holding tank directly to the thruhull under the sink. There is one PVC tee that feeds another tube up to the pump out fitting. No valves (except the thruhull), no pumps, just gravity drain. It works great, no odors (also need to switch to fresh water flush from the sink).

If you experience clogs then the best way to fix it is to connect a dinghy pump to the holding tank breather and create slight positive pressure in the tank. It usually takes care of the clog and helps check the air tightness of the system)