sailing aeolus - 1966 caravelle yawl

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Great photos, Jon. I wish you were bringing her to Mystic Seaport.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004

back when boats were wood and men were steel :)
I think EU sailors, still are made of steel, Jon. I have made good friends with a few UK sailors. They are aghast at our easy sailing in the US. It seems they sail in much harsher conditions, currents, seas, and almost nowhere to run to!

May 4, 2015
jon, I hope this reply gets to you buried so deep in your posts. I noted the oil lamp in the background. I looks exactly like the one I have onboard wind song, I found it in a draw after delivery, and it set up be mounted on the mast in the main salon. Did that lamp in the picture also come with your Caravelle?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
jon, I hope this reply gets to you buried so deep in your posts. I noted the oil lamp in the background. I looks exactly like the one I have onboard wind song, I found it in a draw after delivery, and it set up be mounted on the mast in the main salon. Did that lamp in the picture also come with your Caravelle?
yes, the lamp is original issue. dad bought the boat spring of 74'. 45th season with the boat just completed. :) our mission has been to keep aeolus as it was in 66'. we enjoy sailing aeolus that way. old school
these caravelles are spectacular vessels. so strong with a good round of speed. aeolus has been a great scout up here on the lakes. very sea kindly.

Last edited:
May 4, 2015
yes, the lamp is original issue. dad bought the boat spring of 74'. 45th season with the boat just completed. :) our mission has been to keep aeolus as it was in 66'. we enjoy sailing aeolus that way. old school
these caravelles are spectacular vessels. so strong with a good round of speed. aeolus has been a great scout up here on the lakes. very sea kindly.
Jon, Thanks for confirming! Great to know it is original. I am keeping Wind Song as original as possible. Upgrading systems, winches, removed old boom, changed main sheet arrangement, agm batts, high amp alternator, new cushions, a few things like that. Sailed her the first 2 season with no auto pilot, or windlass. Put on an autopilot, chart plotter, new instruments last year which has been great when sailing short or single handed. I do love sailing her, the more I do the more I am so impressed with her. A great boat, picking away at projects. New Refer system and rebuilt refer box this year, which will provide more flexibility for longer distance sailing, not seeking ice every 3 days. I plan to install a windlass next winter, that will also help out quite a bit. New Sails for sure the following year. I am looking at a new woodstove as mine is in bad shape.
Love all your pictures, keep posting them.
Best Regards
Lloyd

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
The Caravelle is a marvelous sailboat design.

This whole field of CCA era designed sailboats had largely the same design configuration. Large cockpits, wide decks and low freeboard. With this design priority on deck, space below deck, was what it was.

A simple layout below was the benchmark of this design era: First, galley and navigation area that was all stowage beneath and aft (cavernous cockpit lockers). Forward a saloon of two settees and a table. As the boat lengthened, designers were afforded pilot berths, outboard.

Forward of the saloon, the design brief included a head and storage lockers.

And forward of that, the one 'cabin' fit nicely in the narrow spoon bows.

In boats like the Caravelle, the added length was lavished in enhancing all these basic areas: Longer wider cockpit, side decks, galley nav area with storage below and aft growing, added useful stowage in the saloon, a larger head and extra hanging lockers and of course a forward cabin that really becomes, a cabin with standing and sitting room.

Resisting the temptation to add new spaces at the loss of the existing areas, what a wealth of space the designers had to work with. They lavished that extra space and volume to enhance all the basic areas of a true sailboat.

The Caravelle is all sailboat in a generous size.

May 4, 2015
Jon, I still have my 2 bladed prop, connected to a 1978 westerbeak and a velvet drive. It spins when sailing putting it in gear does not lock the shaft, there are some shaft locking options on the market, however thinking or replacing. Can easily motor at 6.3 kts, so pushes well, but backing down, i find the stern has a mind of her own and is not predictable, I am curious about your experience, I am looking at replacing it with a feathering maxi prop. Thanks Lloyd