Unexpected Treasure

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So last weekend I pulled off of the road in a little town called Otto NC. An “architectural salvage” yard had caught my eye.

Wow what an unexpected treasure
See pics
He was asking $125 for the brass portholes. I had the feeling I could have talked him down to $100 if I purchased more than one.
medium portholes.jpg

He also has SS portholes, large SS hatches with thick glass doors, I saw at least one genoa and much much more... I could have spent all day in there.

I almost purchased these brass pelican hooks but I honestly don't have a need for any right now.
pelican hooks.jpg

Here is a pile of nautical flags (literally a pile)
flags.jpg

And for shucks and grins, he had three cargo containers full of glass floats .... the old school type that lobster guys used to use before foam floats. This pic is just a very small sample of the floats he had...

glass floats.jpg

Now I started by saying this was an architectural salvage yard... and it is. This is just his side passion. He used to work in the ship yard in Norfolk.
Here are a few more pics just to blow you mind.
lamps.jpg
lights.jpg
more stuff.jpg
random boat stuff.jpg
small portholes.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Wow. I’m afraid if I went in, I might never find my way out. I’m drooling just looking at your pics and the website.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Oh, me too! Everything looks so clean and ready to do SOMETHING with!! And there are so many of all things beautiful. Wow, you are lucky to live close to this fantastic place.

Jan 19, 2010
I don’t live close. It is 6 hours from my house but I do find myself in that part of the country often. If you see something you want more info on or pics let me know and I’m happy for an excuse to stop in again:beer:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
AHHHHHHHHhhhhh... . . . Blug. . . Pplllleeezzzzzz. . .
Mommy!?!

Ok, I think I can talk now? ... ahem...
I know someone looking for nautical style analogue weather instruments like hygrometer, barometer, thermometer. Anything like that?

- Will ("astounded", Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Did you pick anything up and look on the bottom? They might all say Made in China. Or Hecho en Mexico.:stir:

Jan 19, 2010
Did you pick anything up and look on the bottom? They might all say Made in China. Or Hecho en Mexico.:stir:
Haha
I don’t think so. He said he used to work in Norfolk but before that in a ship yard in Southern Europe

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
THANKS ! i might just have to make a detour to otto on my way to merlefest. i'm equipping our mountain cabin with old oil lights , starboard and port on the doorways, and various nauticalia to get thru the long hard winters with the boat on the hard... (much to spouse's chagrin.) for " nautical style analogue weather instruments like hygrometer, barometer, thermometer" check the weems and plath website then go to the tent sales at the annapolis boat shows. (but i've never seen such advertised as 'analog..' )