rowing an inflatable w/out a keel: how bad is it?

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
Need a new dinghy and I find myself tempted by a West Marine sale on the Pru-3 roll-up inflatable boat ($700). Not the best inflatable of course, but I mostly day-sail these days and will need a dinghy only ~ 2 or 3 times a year when cruising with my wife and rowing from our anchored sailboat to a marina dock. In my mind the biggest limitation of the Pru-3 is the lack of a keel. In the past I've only had air floor inflatables with keels, which I found quite easy to row. So for those of you who have had experience with this: How much more difficult is it to row an inflatable without a keel than one with a keel?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
For me, what has much more impact is rowing whilst sitting on an inflatable seat. Somehow that kills my back. The keel does not make much difference.
Otherwise rowing an inflatable is out of necessity for the minimum distance possible. Or just for fun with your grandchildren.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I never had a problem- this is an Achilles 7'6 with a flat floor. I did have to make tho oars about 6 inches longer. Made wooden plugs for inboard end
beach2.jpg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Need a new dinghy and I find myself tempted by a West Marine sale on the Pru-3 roll-up inflatable boat ($700). Not the best inflatable of course, but I mostly day-sail these days and will need a dinghy only ~ 2 or 3 times a year when cruising with my wife and rowing from our anchored sailboat to a marina dock. In my mind the biggest limitation of the Pru-3 is the lack of a keel. In the past I've only had air floor inflatables with keels, which I found quite easy to row. So for those of you who have had experience with this: How much more difficult is it to row an inflatable without a keel than one with a keel?
We once had the 6 1/2 ft Zodiac Cadet. Slats on a flat floor; no keel. The problem rowing for us was not having a seat. Rowing well or far backwards was nearly impossible w/o one, so I had to row on the knees facing my travel direction. Not that much room to stroke w/ both of us in the dink. However, all was OK with a small 2-stroke 4 HP Evinrude.

A larger dink with a decent seat should be OK as long as you know how to row (i.e., can steer using oars), which isn't hard after a few hours of doing it. Have the wife face the direction of travel sitting in front of you (at transom). She can subtly point the direction so you don't have to keep looking over the shoulder (as above) to make your course. This works especially well if going far.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If you are adept at rowing, the lack of a keel is not the end of the world. I rowed an Avon for a season, and for distances less than around 200 yards one way it wasn't terrible.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
As long as you don't expect to row into a 15 to 20 knot breeze, you should be OK a couple of times a season. Often, find it easier to scull from the bow. It takes a bit to master, but once you've got, it's amazing how easy it is.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I guess I will be contrary. I once had the pleasure (not) of rowing a dinghy with a flat bottom- no keel. It was awful. Every stroke that was not perfectly even in effort on each side tended to spin the dinghy to one side. Thankfully I did not have to go very far. And it was worse when I actually did have to turn, the dinghy would tend to skid sideways. So I would never buy that type of dinghy. I never row unless I am only going less than 100 feet- I always use my small outboard.
Even with an inflatable keel on my Achilles dinghy, it still had a tendency to slide when turning. So I added some glue-on hard rubber keels to help the steering. Works a treat.

upload_2018-6-23_20-5-20.png

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
And for the supercheap: They have a alum floor dink at costco these days for under $500. Now, it may be pure garbage, I don't know. Looks pretty good in the store. PVC for sure but that's no surprise. Several of my dockmates have replaced aging WM dinks with them.

As far as rowing with a flat floor? It works. Poorly. Even motoring is like driving on ice the thing skids so much. (WM roll up dink w 2.5hp lehr)

Mark Q

Apr 19, 2018
Beneteau 323 Orange Beach
I have a Zodiac rollup. I hate rowing it. You can do it, but it's not enjoyable. I'm going to replace it with a hard pram.

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
I've decided to pass on the WM Pru-3 and get something with a keel. The best outcome of this thread: My wife read it and said, "Spend the money, get one with a keel." Thanks guys!

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
"Spend the money" are the sweetest words you can ever hear from your significant other! Yes, I did consider the other possibilities.

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I learned to row in Boy Scouts back in the day. To avoid looking over your shoulder so often while rowing, pick a landmark off the stern, then keep that point relative to where you are heading and you can keep a rather straight course. It takes some practice and it's a bit more difficult with an inflatable that doesn't row as well as a rather heavy wooden row boat but it can be done. That's just my 2 cents worth anyway. Lets face it, rowing a dink is just not something you want to do for more than 100 yards.

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
Rich, I can't wait to show the Admiral your solution. I know she will go for it. She calls the Dink 'her' boat anyway.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Where did you find those stick on keels? My internet search has come up empty so far.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Where did you find those stick on keels? My internet search has come up empty so far.
Gene- I bought those years ago for a previous dinghy. I can't find the source either. I would suggest that you copy my picture and email one or more inflatable service centers for various brands and ask them if they have such and item.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I find a little directional stability a problem with using the outboard. I'll ask around about it.