US Spar Furling Mechanism-cracked

Aug 5, 2012
beneteau Oceanis37 beaverton
Just installed mast today on my Beneteau 37 2011. It has a US Spar in-mast furling system. As I looked closer at the line feeding on the furling mechanism I noticed that the drum(plastic) was actually cracked from the base to head. I have had no real issue with this unit to date as far as furling. Has anybody else run into this situation; must check with US Spar if this is a warranty issue. I know we had a cold winter here in Ontario but I wouldn't think this would cause plastic : cracking. One of my engineer's figures that plastic drum on outside of alloy shaft>>expansion>>cracks brittle plastic???
Any feedback welcomed.
Thanks
Vince
Beaverton, Ontario
Canada

Attachments

May 25, 2006
Beneteau 42 Tampa Bay Area
That is a pretty remarkable failure, particularly so if the mast is only 3 years old. While there may yet be a warranty, even if not the line guide needs be replaced and I suspect the manufacturer will be very concerned about the cause of the failure as well and may be helpful. If your dealer isn't helpful to you, contact Beneteau USA directly, I'm reasonably sure they will be. Good luck with this.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Wow. I have a 2 year old B37 with what appears to be the same US Spar furler gear. Please keep us posted on what US Spar has to say about it.

Aug 5, 2012
Talked with Mike at US Spar. He is sending me a complete Furling module at N/C since this is such a rare event. Great customer support and prompt attention to getting customers sailing again asap.
Ranking 10 on 10.
Vince A
B37 #101

Aug 5, 2012
Just installed mast today on my Beneteau 37 2011. It has a US Spar in-mast furling system. As I looked closer at the line feeding on the furling mechanism I noticed that the drum(plastic) was actually cracked from the base to head. I have had no real issue with this unit to date as far as furling. Has anybody else run into this situation; must check with US Spar if this is a warranty issue. I know we had a cold winter here in Ontario but I wouldn't think this would cause plastic : cracking. One of my engineer's figures that plastic drum on outside of alloy shaft>>expansion>>cracks brittle plastic???
Any feedback welcomed.
Thanks
Vince
Beaverton, Ontario
Canada
Best Customer Service-US Spar.
Phoned my issue with cracked furling mechanism to MIKE the manager at US Spar and he immediately put a complete FM on a UPS truck and I installed yesterday in an hour. I placed defective one in return container. Even thought item is out of warranty, I only paid the freight which was minimum for that type of turn around service. Great supplier of Spars for Beneteau-I guess that is why I bought a B37 made in North America>>US parts. I will have to change my storage method or move south??
Cheers
Vince A
B37 #101.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
I just found the same situation on my 2015 Marlow Hunter 37. Trying to get a hold of US Spars now. Did you take your mmain sail down to replace the furling drum?.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Rebuilt the US Spars furler on my Beneteau about 4 years ago. Definitely easier to drop mainsail before removing furler & I think that it would be just about impossible to reinstall the furler with the main still attached to the foil. You've got to lift the extrustion up into the mast and jocky the furler to get it into place. Perhaps an experienced rigger could do it with the main attached; however, for the average guy it would be difficult at best or impossible. BTW, after you reinstall the furler, its going to take two people to feed and hoist the main up the foil groove... it isn't easy. Be sure to have a can of SailKote to lubricate the sail and foil groove.

May 10, 2004
We've raised and lowered sail every year, just worried about unfurling the sail with the shattered drum.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
It's more than likely a factory defect, mines a 1994 with no cracks ,just replaced line and lubed bearings.
In the winter ,I make sure the opening is facing down on the mast rack ,and that the furler slot is also down along with furler slot of genoa . A buddies friend had the furler slot split from filling up with water and freezing

May 10, 2004
Talked to US Spars. They have seen issues of extreme cold affect some units. They changed vendors and design. I'm going to be exchanging my furling unit and will receive the upgraded part.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I was looking at a Tartn 3700 that had in-mast furling, and the part you mention was aluminum. I would think that would be more durable.