Bow Cleats on Wooden Blocks to Clear Toerails?

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
I am the proud owner of a new Manson Supreme anchor, but also want to mount a Lewmar bow roller that is a bit of a tight fit on the bow and definitely won't work with the existing six-inch single bow cleat that is mounted along the centerline. My marina folks have suggested replacing the single cleat with port and starboard bow cleats. They also recommended grinding out a section of toe rail to accommodate them. But I just don't like the idea of grinding away any part of the toe rail if possible. Why not raise the cleats even or slightly higher than the top of the toe rail by mounting them on solid wood blocks that are also well-reinforced under the mounting area? Perhaps mounting them as close to the toe rail as possible could minimize chafing as the bow lines ride of the top edge of the toe rail. Wondering if anyone has ever tried this. She's an '83 Hunter 27.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Haven't tried the wood blocks idea. I'm just mounting 8" cleats 10" aft of the pulpit. Not really worried about chafe since the bow chocks did a pretty good job of chafing the lines anyway.
I'll post a pic After I install them Monday.

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
GT, good luck with your upcoming installation. It would be great to see your photos. How close to the toe rail were you planning to mount them? Yeah, my lines are chafed too, but maybe its more because they are simply gettin' kind of old!

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
They look awesome. I wonder how much the lines will chafe in the first photo, but I really like the position of the cleats.