Introduction & Questions From a Newbie

Jun 1, 2018
Hunter 23 Brookeville Lake, IN
Hello, I have recently purchased a Hunter 23 and I am a sailing newbie. I have had one sailing lesson at a local lake on the schools boat a few years ago but I feel I know just enough to get myself in trouble. I plan on keeping the boat in the water during the midwest season but my concern is launching and retrieving it. The first time I ever trailered a boat was yesterday after purchasing it, which was a nerve racking experience at first. Is there anything I should know about launching the boat that would help me? It has a shoal keel and a trailer extension which I assume will help. I would be launching it with a either a Toyota 4Runner or Ford F150 4X4 if that helps.

Another question I had was stepping the mast. I assisted with lowering it and it took the previous owner, myself and two other guys to accomplish it. Any tips and tricks to make this easier? Maybe even a one or two man job?

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
Hey John, welcome to the forum and to sailing. My advice for both launching and rigging the mast is the same. Exactly what you just did, ask for help. There will be other sailors in the marina, get some help from them, explain this is all new to you. Most of us love to help, and play with other people's boats.
For specific answers... Launching, use 4 wheel drive, traction is key. Extend the tongue on level ground with the tires blocked. Go slow, accidents happen when you rush.
For standing the mast, mostly the same. Especially don't rush. The mast isn't too heavy on a 23. The faster you push it up, the more danger of swing if a line or shroud catches on something. Definately have help for your first standing. Also check if your marina has any aperatus to assist. I've never used one but have seen some very innovative setups.
Above all else, remember you bought the boat because sailing is fun. Get a group of like minded sailors and all this becomes easy, and fun too.

Mar 27, 2010
Hunter 240 Branched Oak Lake, NE
Hi John, enjoy your new boat! I understand- I grew up sailing with my grandfather and father, but never did anything on my own until I got my H240 eight years ago. Handling the boat in the water came back to me just like riding a bike; once you learn it, you can’t forget it.

But, I too was very nervous about launching and retrieving, stepping and I stepping the mast because I had never done it. I’d agree that the best advice is to ask for help - both here (I’ve learned a lot of good tricks here) and from other guys at your marina. I got a lot of help from a veteran sailor at my marina who used to own a 240, and I’m grateful for his help. Some folks at my marina coordinate the days that we’ll haul out at the end of season so we can give each other a hand. Watch what the experienced guys do.

The other thing I did was to make a pretty detailed checklist of the procedures, complete with photos. Since I only launch and haul out once a year, it was easy to forget things from year to year. I add little tips to my list each year as I discover new tricks.

And, when you screw up and break something, which I have done plenty, call the store on this site. They are very helpful. Only once did they laugh and say “how’d you do that??”

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There are many to include @Kermit, @drewsyntax , @isaksp00 and many other Hunter 23 owners who will be glad to help you sir. I will be attending to private matters for a week and will assist too then. Also look into the archives too as there are some good ideas and suggestions to include mast raising which is not easy but there are ways. Remember there are no dumb questions because I already beat everyone to the punch on that with a nickname Crazy Dave.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I agree with everything said here except that @chris mac said the mast isn’t too heavy. He must be Superman. That sucker is heavy and and absolute beast to raise. Check the owners mods section on how to make an a-frame system that’s sorta like a gin pole but not really. The H23 is a pleasure to sail. Congratulations on your purchase!

Attachments

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
Hey Kermit, I will definately defer to your knowledge here. I don't have any experience directly with the h23. I was basing off of experience with boats of similar size, 24-27'
Although my doctor has called me superman on occasion when I describe the events leading up to several injuries:)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My advice is, look up. Don't raise your mast or drive into any overhead obstructions. One member is currently hosting a thread on how he did just that. Remember your mast, when on the trailer, is very high in the air, somewhere around 30', so look up and make sure the path is clear.

- Will (Dragonfly)

ryan_s

Apr 2, 2018
Hunter 23 Panama City, FL
Definitley listen to Dave the gentlemen above, I've learned much from everyone. I used Mark Majors mast raising system with 2 or 3 people and after 2 seasons raising/lowering multiple times I eventually figured out how to do it myself. Just TAKE YOUR TIME. You might end up forgetting or breaking something if you're in a rush.
Also sent you a pm, just in case.

Oh, and on a side note, first find out how to reef....it's a good investment of time..

Jun 1, 2018
Thank you all for the advice thus far. I feel like I definitely came to the right place to ask questions.

Jul 4, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Cape Charles
I am an inexperienced sailor myself, have a Hunter 23.5, so different boat but similar size. Mine came with the Hunter mast-raising pole which really helps, an experienced person could do it alone but I always had help. The first time I raised the mast, boat was on the trailer in the driveway and I had a buddy assist, as a dry run. Good thing, because in the process we lost one of the lines (main halyard, runs inside the mast to raise the sail). It was an ordeal to fish the line back through the mast.
First time I launched the boat, we did the same drill, raising the mast on the trailer in the parking lot at the town harbor. The operation was successful, but inexperience showed again when we bent some of the turnbuckles where the shrouds (cables) attach to the side of the hull. If you have turnbuckles on the shrouds or stays, as you raise the mast and it develops tension, keep an eye out that they move freely in the chainplate loops where they are attached. With some direction, your non-nautical assistance ( wife, kids, friends) can give you extra eyes on this troublespot.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Congrats John
The h23 is my first sailboat too + alot of fun easy to sail - enjoy!
I’ve never trailered her or had to raise/lower the mast yet - but advice above is spot on - ask for help at the marina.
If you are putting it into a slip - you might want to have the marina launch and raise the mast for a few bucks and watch.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have actually raised and lowered mine alone, but ONLY out of dire necessity. The mast is heavy, and I think it is about 33 ft, so it will be like 40 ft above ground when on the trailer - make sure you avoid trees, utility lines. low flying jets, etc. I much prefer at least one helper, ideally two. When you slide it back from the stored position to pin the mast foot, more than 50% of the weight moves aft of the crutch, so it wants to tilt back and you have to hold the foot down while pinning - that is hard with one person. The only way I was able to do that alone was to use a line tied across the deck that held the foot about 6-10 inches off the deck as I slid it back. On mine, you also have to lift the mast up a few inches so the spreaders can go over the crutch a sit slides back, and that is very hard alone.

If you use a gin pole and also if you have a well-functioning baby stay system it is a lot easier. I have damaged my mast extrusion (minor rivet damage that was easily repaired) twice because it wants to sway side to side, pulling it off the pinned mast foot. Having 2 helpers is very valuable, as these 2 can support it sideways as it goes up or down. If you use a 4-1 block and tackle (such as the main sheet system) and your jib winch, the force to raise it is not bad - it's the sideways sway that'll kill you. The guy I bought from rigged a special block/tackle with a long line, as the mainsheet may be too short to let you use the jib winch. Watch the shrouds carefully as you raise, including the backstay - mine always seems to hang somewhere and I have to lower and then raise again. If you feel resistance on the winch, stop and look, don't force. Tape the ball fittings for the sidestays so they stay vertical while you raise or they tend to swivel and get stuck.
The previous owner built a gin pole from pretty stout walled aluminum tube, though I think something like electrical conduit would have worked - the weight of the mast going up is mostly along the lifting line and the jib halyard (if you use a gin pole) so the pole only needs to tolerate the force of the lines pushing it into the mast. Since the 23 lacks any gin pole, you have to fashion a way to fix it to the mast base. The triangular system recommended by Kermit's post may be the best. On mine, the guy used a pretty thick aluminum plate (I'd say 1/8) and bent it into a squared off U shape to straddle the mast extrusion, then drilled holes sideways through it and the mast to bolt it in place. The gin pole goes between the "legs" of the U and is held with one bolt so it can swivel. The tensioning of the jib halyard to the eye on its upper end and the lifting tackle on the lower side keep it in the right vertical orientation (just so it is above the deck when fully raised). The disadvantage is having to fashion that U bracket and drilling through the mast. I would not attempt to make a hole in the front of the mast to let the pole go inside, like the larger trailerable Hunters came with.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I can step the mast on my H170 by myself, with no gin pole. I can step the mast on my 212 with a gin pole & side stays. If there is nearly zero wind, I probably can do it by myself, but I feel a lot better with a second able bodied person helping. Your stick is about 6 feet longer than the one on my 212. An A frame is probably the safest way to raise it, without a crane, but a gin pole with side stays & a second guy should be enough, once you figure out what needs to be done.

I got around the issue of the mast crutch being forward of the balance point of the mast when the pin goes in, by fabricating a pair of cross sticks that attach to my stern cleats. They support the mast well behind the crutch & allow me to balance it. I have also used the cross sticks to let me keep the mast down while I motor up the Intercostal Waterway without waiting for bridges to open. My mast crutch is part of my trailer & does not attach to the boat.

As was already said, watch that your turnbuckles are moving freely before you pull the stick all the way up. If you bend or kink your standing rigging, it will be time to shop for replacement parts.

As for launching, I would pick the Ford & put the tail gate down for better visibility. This may become important once the trailer starts going down the ramp & your visual alignment references start to drop out of view. As others have said, extend the extender before you back it into the water. The whole trailer loaded is probably not more than 3,500#, so the 4runner is probably also acceptable as a tow truck. Check your tow ratings, just to be sure.

Jun 1, 2018
This is great information and exactly what I am looking for. I just got all the title and registration stuff done today and hoping to recruit some people to help me raise the mast and get it in the water this weekend or next week at the latest.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Not sure what lake your on, but if there's a sail club - join it. You might get more gooder help. Or not. But you'll learn about poker runs, scavenger hunts, and how to sail into a slip backwards without touching your tiller.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
As for launching, I would pick the Ford
Yup. While 2012 4-Runner 4WD is 5000 lbs, 2WD is only 2000 lbs. You would have to lash two of them together and stand on the roof with a whip. I read that somewhere.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Just pulled My Hunter 23 out tonight to take it to Kentucky Lake for a week next week. One of these days I'm going to make a video on mast lowering and raising for it. There is one in You Tube Specific to the Hunter 23 that is helpful. Although they only lower the mast.
We use the "Gin Pole" actually 2 scaffold poles attached to the stanchion on either side then a big anchor shackle on the other side to make the triangle. Jib Halyard gets attached to one side and the other side I use a block and tackle,
https://www.amazon.com/Tuf-Tug-Bloc...S1CNQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_dz_U_F2ElBbPDK1J9M_lm,
This attaches to the Jib Pendant.
Pull it up and down with ease. Seriously easy.

I disconnect my Upper shrouds from the boat completely. If not they always end up getting bent when raising and lowering. The lower shrouds hold it just fine till you are ready for the uppers.

Read this!! If raising and lowering in your driveway, Connect it to the truck first! And strap the boat to the trailer at the bow! I was very lucky and came out without any damage to myself or the boat one time when not doing this. Was a slow OH S!@# ride.

The other thing we do is always raise once the boat is in the water at the dock. We find it much safer and the boat is always flat in all directions. The hardest part is the side to side action of the mast when raising. There isn't a ramp in the world that is flat.

Another recommended item is the Loos Tension gauge. We replaced all our standing rigging and used this to tension the rig. Man what a difference on how the boat handled in over 17-20's wind. So much easier to handle. And a real joy to wrangle now. Replaced rigging because we saw a broken strand on our lower shroud.

We Love our Little H23 hope you will yours too

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Sure would! I'll be raising again Saturday if I have an extra set of hands I'll get it on video and post a link.