C27 Mast Step Position

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I have a 1980 C27 which I think may have been the first year with the sea hood. I would like someone with the sea hood model to confirm the position of the mast step casting relative to the upper shrouds. I know it fits into the cut out of the sea hood but would like to confirm the position independently. I have the location centered on the line between the upper shroud deck hardware connection points. Reason I'm asking is that I had to make wet core repairs and have lost my notes on the mast step position. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It should be sitting right on top of the compression post. Go below, find the post attached to the starboard bulkhead(it'll be encased in teak)... note that the post is on the same plane as the chainplates.. which are attached to the bulkheads.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I have a 1980 C27 Tall rig. On mine the mast step is in a cut out at the forward end of the sea hood. I'll be at the boat tonight and I'll try to take some pictures and post tomorrow. I would assume that it was centered on the upper shroud chain-plates. The spreaders are not swept back and the upper shrouds are perpendicular.
IMGP5759.JPG
IMGP2465.JPG

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Actually, If you study the line drawing below, or look closely when inside the boat, you'll see the front of the mast lined up with the chain plates, not the middle. However... if you are still confused I would suggest giving the folks at Catalina Yachts a quick call for final verification.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I was at my boat last night and while I didn't take any pictures but Joe is correct the upper shrouds line up with the leading edge of the mast.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Agree on the leading edge of the mast. There was another C27 at our marina and though it doesn't have the sea hood I could sight the two upper shrouds and they were on the same plane as the leading edge of the mast. Thanks for all your input.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Like to reopen this discussion. According to this manual page the upper shroud attachment is in the middle of the mast. Do you see the same thing? Also the compression post, at least on my boat, is not in the middle of the boat, directly under the mast, but slightly toward starboard just a little. I made this measurement from cabin top to the center of the post, port and starboard.
http://catalina27.org/images/Deck1.jpg

Last edited:

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Went to a marina nearby and looked at 4 C27's. A couple had the spray hood and a couple did not. All four had the upper shrouds aligned with the forward edge of the mast. That's pretty conclusive to me. So the above referenced page must not be quite accurate. It probably doesn't make a bit of difference either way but it is nice to have actual verification.