Sailing and Philosophy

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
The older philosopher replied, "Yes, but imagine how it would look if the Sun DID go around the Earth."
Whether the Earth goes around the Sun, or the Sun goes around the Earth, is merely a matter of perspective (or Einstein’s “relativity”) Neither view is a priori correct. The geocentric model just makes modeling the other planets' orbits more complicated.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Neither view is a priori correct.
What?o_O One is correct and one is not with or without "experimentation" or a proper set of observations.

Accordingly, since nothing prevents the earth from moving, I suggest that we should now consider also whether several motions suit it, so that it can be regarded as one of the planets. For, it is not the center of all the revolutions.
Nicolaus Copernicus

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Whether the Earth goes around the Sun, or the Sun goes around the Earth, is merely a matter of perspective (or Einstein’s “relativity”) Neither view is a priori correct. The geocentric model just makes modeling the other planets' orbits more complicated.
Wow. Nice thinking here. However, circular motion is the one example I can think of where there are measurable (arguable) absolutes. Not relative at all. It has to do with the perception of movement vs the effective forces involved. Centripedal force is felt entirely within the system and makes no difference to position or perspective.
Not that we can stand on the surface of the Earth and feel it rotate, but it has a real effect regardless of the motion of other bodies relative to it.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
One is correct and one is not with or without "experimentation" or a proper set of observations.
I think Alastair was referring to what one can know without prior experience regardless of which is actually correct. It would be incorrect to believe one or the other perspective by simply looking, since it would look the same, either way. Unless, you believed, as Plato did, that all knowledge was a priori knowledge, fundamental to your perspective. Just as Socrates lead the slave boy to prove the Pythagorean Theorem, without any prior education, simply by asking him to answer questions made obvious by the previous answers to simpler questions, maybe we do have inherent understanding of the Universe and all its parts when we follow the logical conjunctions derived from previous and simpler questions until the first questions we use as our premises are self-evident (a priori). Descartes wasn't successful at following that thread very far. Still, it feels like the answers are there, just waiting for someone to ask the right questions.
A sailor, has a unique perspective to these problems because he uses the geometry of a spherical plane and its relationship to a larger sphere of celestial bodies (sailors experience the Universe and its natural principles by necessity) and he often has long hours of quiet observation and contemplation to dwell upon these things. Maybe modern sailors don't need to learn or think about the math or the relationships involved in getting from here to there on the globe, but attention is given to his travel, never the less. The answer to most physical and metaphysical questions lays in our ability to pay attention. As Parmenides suggests, we can only know the World (physical, phenomenal or idealistic) through our senses, so pay attention.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I gave up trying to read y’all’s replies. Comprehending them never even became an option. Even Google doesn’t understand you!
That's your word. The one you were looking for in another thread. Old friends that just met. Neo = new, seni = old, pal = friend. 'neosenipal' means "Old friends who just met". Literally: new old friends.
This word is for you, Kermit.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
That's your word. The one you were looking for in another thread. Old friends that just met. Neo = new, seni = old, pal = friend. 'neosenipal' means "Old friends who just met". Literally: new old friends.
This word is for you, Kermit.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I tried taking Latin at Furman Univetsity. Maybe I would have figured that out if I had learned enough to get a C in the class. “Earning” a D didn’t give me quite the foundation I needed.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I tried taking Latin at Furman Univetsity. Maybe I would have figured that out if I had learned enough to get a C in the class. “Earning” a D didn’t give me quite the foundation I needed.
Except it's Greek.
;)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Neo Nepal. Is that "sortof" like going on a mountainous vacation, or is this thread leading the "abstract Monday" column?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm hoping to sail into abstract waters with this thread, but fun is number one.

- Will (Dragonfly)