2000 Hunter Passage 420 ball valves and LED navigation lights replacement

Jan 27, 2017
Hunter Passage 420 San Diego
I have a 2000 Hunter Passage 420 with at least 3 ball valves that are seized in the open position. Two of them don't turn at all and the 3rd can be actuated but it doesn't make any difference as it stays open. I've looked through the manual for the sizes so that I can replace them but can't find the sizing there. The boat is located several hundred miles away so I don't have an easy way to measure them.
Q1: Does anyone know the sizing of the cockpit scupper, engine and generator intake, aft AC ball valves, etc?
Q2: Is is possible to unscrew and replace through hulls without having to replace the actual through hull assembly as well?
Q3: The workers in Mexico mentioned these can be removed and soaked in some acid to remove whatever scaling is blocking them open, and then reused. Has anyone done this?

Secondly, I'm going to replace the anchor and navigation lights with LED ones. I assume this is simply a matter of replacing the actual bulbs rather than the entire assembly. Anyone know the bulb codes?

Thanks for your help.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Not sure of the ball valve size issue but a good soak in de-scaler followed by a brushing followed by proper lubrication can bring them back from the dead ...sometimes!

Yes, but you have to have a set of 'tools' that are available online, but I can't remember the name and they don't have any ID markings on them once out of the package. There are two sizes sold in a package. They are red, semi rigid plastic devices that look like small parasols with long rod handles. They are from the UK. Try to google "sea cock stopper tool" or similar.

Yes, you can (and should) replace your incandesent bulbs with LEDs. And you can get many sizes right here at the SBO store. Go to masthead at the top of this page, select "Home" and then "Shop". Marine Beam bulbs are found in there.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
All of my seacocks have a "follower" that holds the Teflon "ball seat" in place [ on the valve body].
I have freed one, by a gentle, backed up, wrench turn on the packing "follower". That takes the "pressure" off the seat. I then gently tapped the handle with a rubber mallet.
Work the handle. You can also loosens the ball valve shaft packing [top of valve shaft].
Jim...

PS: It is better to get the model number and maker of each ball valve.
PSS: I have changed one ball valve while in the water, but I had a back up wooden wedge "plug", just in case.;)