Repairing Hunter 40 damage from Hurricane Matthew

May 8, 2013
Hunter 40 Dataw Island, SC
I'll try to hit all your replies in one here - thanks for the input, guys! Sometimes it helps to bounce ideas around to find the good and bad points.

I got a reply from Noria. They pretty much said they have no interest at all in the boating and rv crowd. Seems to me they are leaving sales on the table but it's not my product. I asked for unit dimensions and power requirements, they didn't even give the dimensions. Power - 480 watts continuous. That works out to (depending on if you use 115 or 120 VAC) to roundabout 4.3 amps. They did say the start-up amps are about 15. Holy cow!! My 18,500 BTU marine unit uses about 13 continuous and only 18 or so startup. That eliminates being able to use my inverter - it can't start the Noria. Nor will a Honda 1000.

I found dimensions from another website - it's 30 lbs., 18.25in wide, 15 deep and 5.8 tall. Too tall to fit into the existing port openings. Another thing the alternate website explained is where the air outlet is - turns out it doesn't blow out the front, it blows out of a slit opening in the top. Pretty much makes it completely useless for my boating needs. Oh well. Funny, my roll-around a/c for my garage costs the same and is 14,000 BTUs. I'd put it on the boat during interior construction but it won't run on an extension cord.

The whole idea behind this was ease of installation and removal. A permanently mounted unit sits out of the way but can't be used underway or at anchor without some serious equipment supporting it. I had thought that being able to slip these things out of their openings and sliding a cover in place to go sailing was a decent tradeoff. back to the drawing board.

I'm back to planning out a regular marine a/c unit. Figure my needs are around 20,000 BTUs total. I could go 16 for the main salon and vee-berth, and 6 for the aft cabin, or possibly 12 and 12 with the aft unit sending air forward. So many decisions!

I read a few years back that someone (marine manufacturer) had made a DC powered air conditioner. Gonna go research that.

Mark

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
All new ac as well as refergerator's use the new environment friendly r410 which runs at extremely high pressure to remain efficient. And the starting load is real high. Holding on to old r12 and r143 units I can. I have an 10,000 btu old window unit that draws 8 amp starting and 3.5 running

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Mark there are a couple devices out there to bring your old engine data out on NMEA2000. Both Maretron and Noland Engineering make devices that either piggyback on existing sensors or drive the sensors alone. I went with the Noland Engineering RS11 for my 35 yr old Universal M25. I replaced the oil pressure switch with a dual switch/pressure sensor and piggybacked on voltage, Water temp and RPM, I still have inputs for fuel + two more analogue devices.

Mahalo

May 8, 2013
All new ac as well as refergerator's use the new environment friendly r410 which runs at extremely high pressure to remain efficient. And the starting load is real high. Holding on to old r12 and r143 units I can. I have an 10,000 btu old window unit that draws 8 amp starting and 3.5 running
I think my old Flagship unit uses R-22 but not 100% sure. The Noria info said it uses R-410 which likely explains the high startup amps.

May 8, 2013
Mark there are a couple devices out there to bring your old engine data out on NMEA2000. Both Maretron and Noland Engineering make devices that either piggyback on existing sensors or drive the sensors alone. I went with the Noland Engineering RS11 for my 35 yr old Universal M25. I replaced the oil pressure switch with a dual switch/pressure sensor and piggybacked on voltage, Water temp and RPM, I still have inputs for fuel + two more analogue devices.

Mahalo
Right here is why I like this sight! I'm hip-deep (or maybe neck-deep!) in airplane manuals so you saved me hours and hours or maybe days and days of research!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I've got a few ideas for remote engine instrumentation, etc., that don't seem to be possible with marine MFDs unless you have the latest computer controlled engine management system.
The Maretron engine monitor system works fine with the analog YANMAR engine sensors. Plugs up to the engine wire loom. You will have to change out the temp and oil sensors to get linear range (instead of high alarm). The tach works fine OEM as do the system voltage. Installed on a Navico MFD. Nice upgrade to see engine temp and oil pressure instead of idiot lamps and a buzzer.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Nice upgrade to see engine temp and oil pressure instead of idiot lamps and a buzzer.
I replaced my op switch with a dual switch/sensor fits in same space as switch alone. The come in various switch points so you can match the mfg specs. I haven’t found dual engine temp switch/sensor yet

Mahalo

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Mark

Can we assume that you have put your project on hold to rest ? or save up more funds ? or did you drop her in for some well deserved sailing time before finishing your restoration ? or did you tired of dragging all of us arm chair advisors along for the ride?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’ve been thinking about Mark and his project lately. Give up? Balderdash. He’s flying in Japan. He’ll be back.

May 8, 2013
Mark

Can we assume that you have put your project on hold to rest ? or save up more funds ? or did you drop her in for some well deserved sailing time before finishing your restoration ? or did you tired of dragging all of us arm chair advisors along for the ride?
Konnichiwa Kevin san!

As Kermie said, still alive & kicking, doing my thing here in Japan. One of these days I'll get some leave so I can work on the boat, just not yet :(. Things like training which would take 2 months anywhere else in the world take horrendously long here, thus the 4 month absence with at least 2 more months to go. One the up side, I passed the license check and actually get to see the inside of an airplane next week! Not sure if I remember how though. :liar:

I have been researching boat stuff and will make some preparatory parts orders so that when I get home I'll have a big pile of parts & pieces ready for assembly, installation or fabrication. My biggest worry at this point is that I normally operate in a state of semi-controlled chaos, with tools, parts, etc., strewn everywhere. When I go overseas I clean everything up and it takes me quite a while to remember where anything is!

So don't fret, I'm in it for the long-haul!

Cheers,

Mark san

May 8, 2013
I’ve been thinking about Mark and his project lately. Give up? Balderdash. He’s flying in Japan. He’ll be back.
Hi Kermit!

If you ever pop into the West Marine close to Lake Murray say Hi to Stephen. He used to manage the store in Beaufort before moving to Columbia. He lives right on the lake close to the sailing club.

Come on down to the coast sometime when I'm stateside. I can always put you to work doing something! :biggrin: The work requirement will be suspended if you show up with a bottle of Captain Morgan!

Cheers,

Mark san

May 8, 2013
The Prodigal Son Returns:

Well, almost - I wrangled two weeks of leave so I'll be back in the states end of next week. I have a big order of plywood on the way that hopefully will arrive just before I get home so I'll be able to get right to work. Of course my body clock will be 12 hours out of sync so first thing I'll have to do is set up lights in the boat so I can work through the night! Now I have to decide where to pick up after such a long absence :eek:

So fret not, updates coming soon!

Cheers,

Mark

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mark we look forward to your posts and hope for success in your continuing repairs/refitting of your boat.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
I’ve been wondering where Mark’s been also? But, I understand, have to move to Vancouver for work next month. Mark, you could be the next Don Casey with your own version of this old(but now like new) boat!

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I've been procrastinating on working on small repairs on my boat with little to no guilt … with Mark back in business now I will feel guilty buuuuuut I will most likely watch his progress and ignore my own minor projects.