Times Up?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My original plan, after retirement in 1997, was to spend more time in my wood shop making sawdust. In 1999 when the sailing bug appeared, it bit hard. Then in 2002 we bought our current boat, and well so much for the sawdust plan. That passion kicked in allowing us to find a whole new world of experiences. Still have all my wood working stuff, and maybe someday when I hang up the boat, they will be waiting for some good use. Not sure when that will be because our new passion should carry on for several more years, hopefully.
Terry we'll have to compare sawdust making capacity and shop sq footage !!!

Les

Mar 21, 2017
None 30 Usa
Good for U, became involved, after I got " run off 3 rd time at 68" a Texas term. Got involved,with the Duce U see, from our youth (mine) for a while. Now re doing, a 18' Catalina, paid to much for. Adding more new Rudder arrived few days ago, Ruddercraft, thus poring more $$ down a rat hole.
Love sail, have not been on a sail boat in 20 yrs, lot of stories prev 25 yrs, but will have this little POS in the water before my 82.
Enjoy

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just finished my annual chore yesterday of scrubbing the Belle-Vie's deck, cockpit, etc. All day job and I'm really sore. Had two of my boater buddies over to help; yup! While they were below commiserating over this and that, and catching up on reading material, guess who was top side busting their hump? Plus I fixed them lunch; my favorite coronary clogger, can of corned beef hash, four eggs and four thick slices of colby cheese. Yum!

Wifey says you're getting to old for this, why don't you hire it out? I'm sure this high falutin penny pincher will listen to that advice; yup! Sort of an oxymoron. Spend big bucks on boat moorage, insurance, etc., and I work like the dickens to keep from squeezing a nickel out of my hiney. Now where did I leave that first penny I ever earned?

I submit that the telltale sign is when it is no longer "fun."
I suppose so. Good feeling after all that work to observe how Belle-Vie shines up like a new penny. Next week will be time for the next chore and that is to haul the boat, clean the hull and paint the bottom. Hire it out; yup! That is if and when I'll ever squeeze that nickel out. Just having too much fun, but my body keeps reminding me that I'm no spring chicken. Muscles have lost some of their strength, joints flare up with aches at times, and where it used to take a few hours to recover, now requires days at times.

At least at my age I can still get pumped, however. Another season has arrived with just a few more days before we're back on the water. Our little flotilla wants to head north again and I'm game. Too old? Naw. Not yet anyway. Tick tock, tick tock.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
can of corned beef hash, four eggs and four thick slices of colby cheese. Yum!
A man after my own heart! :)

I can't wait for lunch for that, it's a great breakfast! :clap:

Although with lunch, ya get to include this: :beer:

Les says he's never seen me without one! :dancing:

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I downsized at 57, not because I needed to, but because I was tired of cruising. I like a bicycle better than and SUV, and so I find a small, responsive boat more fun than the big cat I had. I also like that the maintenance is easier now; the bigger boat had more systems and everything was heavier. Why should the boat own me?

The point is do what you want. Perhaps at some point it is a smaller boat and more day sailing. Perhaps it's a bigger boat with a smoother ride. I don't know. I might buy a bigger boat again someday, I just didn't feel like having a boat sitting that the dock that I was bored with. Someone else should enjoy it.

Dec 25, 2000
Although with lunch, ya get to include this: :beer:
What?! You mean none with breakfast? :solame:

I remember as a Willapa youngster crossing the tracks to my uncles house a short distance away for a visit Sunday morning after he had been out most of the night drinking. :puke:He had what he called a Bloody Mary for his breakfast, which was a beer mixed with tomato juice. He had the shakes so bad from a hangover that he could hardly get it to his lips to drink. They actually taste pretty good, if you don't mind ruining a good beer. Although a bit difficult to ruin a Rainier or Olympia, which was our staple back then.

Dec 25, 2000
Woohoo! Last day of school tomorrow. Head to the boat Thursday, haul and Friday and splash on Monday. Really getting pumped. Hope everything checks out okay. New zincs, check to make sure the through hulls are clear, speed wheel okay, rudder play and shaft strut solid, etc. Clean the prop, sand a paint. Some touch up on the boot stripe. Repack the stuffing box always a chore.

Dec 25, 2000
Yesterday had a medical checkup. Other than the CDL licensing medical exams required every two years, 2000 was the last time when I had my first colonoscopy that checked out clear. Was supposed to have a follow-up done in ten years, but now overdue for another. First time with this doctor where she went through a litany of questions and inspections. Other than having blood work and colonoscopy test results to review (must do), she gave me a clean bill of health. Whew!

Been stewing some over my health as I'm not getting any younger and the body is becoming creakier over time. Aches and pains linger longer but eventually go away only to return again due to over exertion while pushing or pulling this or that boat system thingy.

Muscle mass slowly diminishing even though I excersize upper and lower body parts regularly. Try to maintain a healthy diet, except for the occasional beer and regular red wine, which some say is good for you, in moderation that is, whatever that means.

My boating buddy turned 80 last year and still seems up to cruising, albeit a bit slower in his movements, too. I turned 75 last year and ditto here, but five or more years of cruising still seems in the cards. Energy level remains up, spirits high, outlook eager and many places yet to visit. Not quite ready for the barcalounger life style. No room on the boat for one anyway. Just say'n.

It seems my wife of soon to be 50 years, the boat in my life and driving a school bus, all of which I enjoy immensely, helps to maintain daily vigor. As one replier mentioned, keep at it until it no longer becomes fun. I do hope that day never comes to pass, but by then perhaps time to curl up my toes and enter into a new next life, whatever that is.

Tick tock, tick tock.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
keep at it until it no longer becomes fun. I do hope that day never comes to pass,
There are always possibilities. I like your approach. No way do I want any social norm dictated by a medical industry motivated by profit, to schedule my life. I believe in a basic routine of health checkups, but some things, like colonoscopies, seem a little too convenient for the doctor's regular infusion of income. I get even more suspicious when they start telling me, when I don't feel the need for an annual bowel viewing, things like, "I know two people who died from not getting a colonoscopy."
Maybe if fear mongering weren't so widely used to promote personal and political agendas, I'd be more inclined to take it seriously. I can only assume it hasn't gotten to far out of hand because insurance companies want to pay for unnecessary tests even less than I do.
Anyhow, when all you have left is your mind, there is still a lot to keep things interesting. The secret is to never dwell on what you once had but have now lost. Refocus and find what makes you happy. The universe is full to the brim with possibilities.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I had a friend some five yrs ago that died from stage IV colon cancer. He was in his 40s. He never knew he had it until he got sick and ended up in the hospital. There was nothing that could be done. He never went in for checkups. Both his parents died very young from the same and his brother just died. Know your family history and get checkups.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
There are always possibilities. I like your approach. No way do I want any social norm dictated by a medical industry motivated by profit, to schedule my life. I believe in a basic routine of health checkups, but some things, like colonoscopies, seem a little too convenient for the doctor's regular infusion of income. I get even more suspicious when they start telling me, when I don't feel the need for an annual bowel viewing, things like, "I know two people who died from not getting a colonoscopy."
Maybe if fear mongering weren't so widely used to promote personal and political agendas, I'd be more inclined to take it seriously. I can only assume it hasn't gotten to far out of hand because insurance companies want to pay for unnecessary tests even less than I do.
Anyhow, when all you have left is your mind, there is still a lot to keep things interesting. The secret is to never dwell on what you once had but have now lost. Refocus and find what makes you happy. The universe is full to the brim with possibilities.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will... Get a colonoscopy when you’re due for one.