Fresh water pump issue

Oct 3, 2014
hunter 42 Alamitos Bay
1998 hunter 42, fresh water pump came on by itself, all faucets were off, water tank full, and no water to faucets when turned on pump just kept running. Do you think it's the pump or the tank?

Oct 3, 2014
hunter 42 Alamitos Bay
I guess I should have also said that when the pump is on, there is a small amount of water coming out of faucet, just a trickle.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
1951 if it is air locked a dribble of water (spits out) will come out. Once it is going "full" force turn the spigot off. The pump should stop running. If the pump continues to run or if it gets air locked again start looking for a leak. Make sure all your other spigots are off and not dripping.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Every single domestic water pump manual has very good troubleshooting information included. Download ANY of them, even for a different vendor, and read it.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
If you put bleach in the tanks to kill bugs I bet you have a few calcium crystals on the pump's internal valves. easy to fix, just pull the pump head, disassemble (noting direction and orientation of the rubber valve parts), clean in vinegar and reassemble

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
When I first moved aboard my 40.5, I was having a similar problem. Turned out it was Operator Error. I didn't shut off the empty tanks(s) on the manifold; was sucking air. However, I also had a pressure switch fail on the pump causing constant running. Good luck!

Oct 3, 2014
hunter 42 Alamitos Bay
If you put bleach in the tanks to kill bugs I bet you have a few calcium crystals on the pump's internal valves. easy to fix, just pull the pump head, disassemble (noting direction and orientation of the rubber valve parts), clean in vinegar and reassemble

Oct 3, 2014
hunter 42 Alamitos Bay
No bleach, however there was cal
When I first moved aboard my 40.5, I was having a similar problem. Turned out it was Operator Error. I didn't shut off the empty tanks(s) on the manifold; was sucking air. However, I also had a pressure switch fail on the pump causing constant running. Good luck!

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
if your sink faucet is dripping you may want to check whether it needs new washers too. when the water drips slowly out of the faucet, the pump will turn on to replace the h 2 0 being lost to the drip.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
It sounds as if there is air in the line which prevents the pump from sensing the appropriate level of pressure or pumping water. If the diaphragm in the pump has an issue you have the same effect, since the pressure will never reach the set cut off point.

Oct 3, 2014
hunter 42 Alamitos Bay
Thank you ordered a new pump, trying that first going to purge the line to make sure no blockage in the tank , thanks fort the ideas.