Job interview

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I will always laugh when I think of when they announced a new call time for 6:30 AM for the band at church. One member asked, "You mean there is a 6:30am too?"

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
My dad forwarded me a link to that video a few weeks ago and I got a chuckle from it.
It was fun to have a laugh at youthful attitudes today. But, sadly, the work world - at least as I have experienced it - has changed for the worse from what it was before the younger generations' time.
Where I work the usual ethic is to do the minimum possible to get by. It used not to be that way, but over the past 20 years the business has been sold, spun off, merged half a dozen times. Each time a few people are laid off, the layers of bureaucracy increase, and management focuses more on short-term results over future viability. Many jobs are offshored or outsourced (the people currently performing them being laid off then rehired for the same work by a contractor, with fewer or no benefits and lower salary). Medical coverage requires higher employee contributions and provides a lower level of benefits each year. 401K matching has been slashed and is now paid annually instead of quarterly (so if you work 364 days then leave for whatever reason, you lose matching for the entire year). No one has received a raise in years. Annual bonuses (in lieu of performance based raises) have dwindled away to nothing - except for the top echelons of management, who receive multi-million-dollar "golden parachute" payoffs on the way out the door after every buy-out, no matter what havoc they've wreaked with the business during their tenure.
There was a time when drive and dedication were recognized and rewarded. People were invested in the success of our business and providing real value. We were loyal to the company and the company, in turn, was loyal to us. Now there are still a few who are motivated solely by personal satisfaction in doing a good job, but increasingly the rule of the day is resigned cynicism.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
That video is such a sad stereotypical generation bashing cliche'. I couldn't even finish it,... :)

Both of my millennial kids are now working at great jobs. They were hard jobs to get. They got them solely on how they interviewed (according to those hiring them). Punctual, polite, bright, eager, that gets you the job. That will never change.

The one thing she said that was right, is facebook is for boomers. My kids are never on facebook.
Tom
You and your wife should pat YOURSELVES on the back as well. Your children were obviously brought up with the characters and beliefs which enabled them to succeed.
It's not an accident.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Where I work the usual ethic is to do the minimum possible to get by.
I worked as a laborer for a contractor, years ago. I remember another laborer who spent more time smoking his cigarettes then working. I suggested he might do better to apply a little more effort towards painting the fire station we were working on than sitting on the edge of the scaffold. He replied, "minimum work for minimum wage." Besides the fact we were getting a little more than minimum wage, I asked him, "So, you think the boss is going to walk by, look up at you sitting there doing "minimum" work and think, 'I should pay that guy more so he will work harder.'? Is that the way you would do it if you were him?" Answer, a shrug.
I think the thought processes about who to give raises to and who to fire is still the same for business owners. Maybe not for CEO, but owners.

As far as severance packages go, they are huge, for the right position, but cheaper than months in court.

-Will (Dragonfly)