Mast reinforcement Question...

Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
Ok...this a a hypothetical question. My 146 mast has a light ding in the mast about half way up and had a very slight bend, which I had already gently teased out(Bend). What do you guys think of the idea of me finding a length of PVC pipe sized to fit the the inside of the mast and gently tapped it up to the ding to push it (ding) out from the inside. I would then leave the pipe inside to hopefully adding some very light weight, additional support. Crazy Idea?? What are your thoughts??

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I've repaired similar looking dents in antique shotgun barrels by hammering in a round nosed brass slug that was machined to fit with a few thousandths of clearance, then hammering the dented area of the barrel from the outside with a lead mallet. After polishing & patina, the repair was indistinguishable from the surrounding metal.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think PVC is neither light nor stiff enough to help (perhaps if you plugged the end with a piece of pine). It is, however, an excellent idea with another material. How far from the end you would be working from is the dent. It doesn't look like much, but it is the weak spot now.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 21, 2018
I've repaired similar looking dents in antique shotgun barrels by hammering in a round nosed brass slug that was machined to fit with a few thousandths of clearance, then hammering the dented area of the barrel from the outside with a lead mallet. After polishing & patina, the repair was indistinguishable from the surrounding metal.
That was kinda what I was thinking off...but as Will mentioned PVC might not be the material.

Mar 21, 2018
I think PVC is neither light nor stiff enough to help (perhaps if you plugged the end with a piece of pine). It is, however, an excellent idea with another material. How far from the end you would be working from is the dent. It doesn't look like much, but it is the weak spot now.

-Will (Dragonfly)
The dent is not really half way, but its a good 6 feet from the base...