Stuck center board

Jun 29, 2015
ODay 19 Mayfield New York
The center board of my O'Day 19 weekender is stuck in the up position after being stored on the trailer all winter. The boat is in the water. Any suggestions of how to move the board into the down postion.. Thanks.. Andy

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
On the O'Day 23 and maybe the 25, I dove down with a large adjustable wrench and used the handle at the aft part of the trunk to pry the board out. More fun in warm water than cold of course....

Jun 29, 2015
Thanks... for the quick reply. It is probably going to come to that. Right now the boat is at Sacandaga Resevoir at the foot hills of the Adirondacks with lots of cold water flowing in etc. I think I will take your advise part way for now a use chest waders to see if I can move it down with a pipe. It will probably not work and will need to take a swim as you suggests. Have a good time boating.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I use a small 1" wide pry bar at the aft end of the centerboard against the slot and it always drops easy. Use mask and flippers to make it easier to swim under and hold position efficiently.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
sometimes any combination of the following will help get it loose without getting wet....1) motor along quite awhile to make sure the slot is as rinsed out as possible, 2) then gently jump up and down several times on the cabin floor just inside the companion way.(this has worked for me several times. 3) use a long flexible rod through the c/b line feed to push it down ( I once used a narrow fiberglass rod from a camping tent rain fly. good luck.

Jun 29, 2015
Thanks. I will try your idea the next time as I wound up pulling the boat out on the trailer and then a quick tap brought down the center board. I think it was pulled up too tightly when the boat came out last year. Have a great summer . Andy

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Now that I recall, I never pulled my board up all the way, though I did not dry sail, but if you can keep a couple inches of it down it may help in any situation.