2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Pleasing the Admiral is a very sensitive and smart action. I’d call us smart skippering.
Mine is home now after 2 weeks in Ireland. But I must suffer another 3 weeks at the end of the month when I go on my solo summer cruise

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Suffer? What is she sharing about Irish.., Ireland?
It is a time to enjoy her being home and sharing Irish experiences.
Are you eating home cooked potato’s corned beef and cabbage?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
so I can get through my first oil change before taking off....
What's the game plan after the oil change Mark? A definite destination or just where the wind blows?
We moved from Port McNeill to Alert Bay today. Will take in the cultural centre etc. tomorrow. Another week or two exploring before heading further north.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We’re not getting anywhere near that far north this year. Some small trips (family) and then about july 2 head north. Not sure we’re going to get out of Gulf Is. We have to be in Chemainus july 18 for a dinner/musical. If you’ve never done that, I heartily recommend it. It’s a blast. Small chance of making a run to Desolation or Princess Louisa. Next year it’s telling everybody they can’t die, or get married, or have kids, etc , etc. Did that two hrs ago when we went to The Broughtons and it worked great...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Roche Harbor is one the sail plan for the fourth fireworks. Admiral wants to stay at least two days. That's $100/day moorage. But she and the grandkids will be happy. They happy, me happy.

Jan 5, 2017
IMGP0234.jpg Spent the afternoon at the local cultural centre. Unfortunately no pics allowed inside but a great mask collection.
IMGP0233.jpg A twenty team soccer tournament going on here this weekend so a boatload of tourists arrived.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Learned while in England. Played in College. Played in adult league and coached teams youth. From Marshmellos (daughter at age 6) to college level. A 25year avocation. Lots of fun.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
While you’re in Alert Bay check out Gator Gardens, it is a spectacular boardwalk park. I go there often, my wife was born there!

Dec 25, 2000
Unfortunately no pics allowed inside but a great mask collection.
Please don't tell anyone, but they told me the same thing when I went through a few years ago. Never said anything about not taking videos, so I took quite a bit of the inside of the Centre. Maybe I should post it on Youtube for you. Hmm.

Here is a bit of the video from one of my DVDs. Clips start at about 1 hour and 33 minutes in.

Told me the same thing when we went through the basement of the old residential school where they make the masks. I respected their request.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
IMGP0241.jpg Very interesting walk through Gator Garden. It has a mysterious beauty.IMGP0240.jpg IMGP0242.jpg The campground was being well used by all the football (soccer) players.
Good call Scotty. We really enjoyed our walk. Moved over to Cormorant Channel Marine Park this afternoon.

Dec 25, 2000
Cormorant Channel Marine Park.
Very nice., A few years ago, after leaving Alert Bay heading south, we ducked into the Pearce Island Group for protection from a gale that was trucking through the area. You could see the trees above jostling from the wind, but nice and calm at anchor in between the islands. Beautiful country.

Jan 5, 2017
IMGP0252.jpg IMGP0254.jpg After leaving Cormorant Channel Marine Park we explored the Plumper Island group, then moved a little south to Spout Cove and spent the evening watching the traffic in Blackfish Sound.

Jan 5, 2017
This morning we decided to move up to Sointula on Malcolm Island. Some sailing, had a couple of Humpbacks for company for awhile then a few porpoises. All in all a good day.
IMGP0258.jpg Siontula MarinaIMGP0257.jpg Bilge keels would sure make bottom work easier.