Widgeon tack grommet?

Jun 11, 2018
O'day Widgeon Lower Stanchfield
IMG_1206.JPG
I am hoping some smart person can answer a dumb question for me. I acquired a late 70's Widgeon that was down on it's luck. After searching this forum and other websites I think I have the rigging worked out, but one thing remains. The tack of the sail has two grommets. Why?
It appears like the lower grommet has been used the most. The upper one is around 6 inches higher up and has seen little use. Is it to provide a flatter sail? I do not know if the sail is one that originally came with the. It is an O'day sail made by Neil Pryde.
My previous sailing experience has been with Kayaks and canoes using lug sails, so this has me stumped.
Also is it worthwhile adding oar locks and rowing a boat like this?
Thanks.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I would venture to guess it's for a cunningham.

Google that!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Cunningham, never have used that on either my old WIDGEON or my present DS II, but both had the extra grommet. Seems to me that the halyard and downhaul for the sliding gooseneck would mostly provide the same adjustment ability as the Cunningham. If gooseneck was fixed in place on mast (didn't slide) like on some other classes, then yes, I see the purpose of the Cunningham grommet.
If your sails are labeled "O'DAY" and made by Neil Pryde, then they are either original or OEM replacements.
If you could use an expanded Owners Manual/Rigging guide, private message me.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
It has been a long time since I sailed a Widgeon. Not even sure Reagan was president yet but I seem to remember a line looped through those cringles to tighten the luff.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's for the Cunningham. Even with a boom downhaul, a Cunningham is way more effective because it doesn't pull on the foot of the sail. When you rig the boat, tie off the boom downhaul to stabilize it. Look on the mast for an existing eye strap on one side and a small cleat on the other, use 1/8 or 3/16 line. That'll give you 2:1 with no fancy hardware