Boat Stands

Apr 3, 2018
Catalina 30 Bath Maine
We have 30' Catalina with fixed keel (5') can anyone tell us correct number and location of placement. Would it better for gripping/holding to the hull to cover the wooden pad on the boat stand with a commercial grade rubber material?(Any other help PRACTICAL ideas are welcome.)

Thanks
The Grace O'Malley

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The stand plan is about balancing the boat on its keel. More is better. They used 9 on my boat. While you may get away with 7, I like the 2 extra.

Placement is in the area of bulkheads and stringers. If you look inside your boat you’ll see where the braces are running across the hull from side to side. That’s where you want the pads. Most marina workers who lift and set boats are aware. They don’t want your boat to fall.

P.S. What Will said. Chain up is mandatory.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
balancing the boat on the keel may work great for cals, but later catalinas have open sterns and canted keels. not a good combo for keeping water out.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So @mortyd what are you saying. More than 9 or fewer to brace a Catalina 30? What do you stand the boat on if it is not the blocked keel? Would this require the boat to be balanced so as to tilt the level of the boat so that water will runoff the stern?
This would require braces that maintains the boat in a stable condition. This would require chaining the of the braces to prevent them from moving.
I think.:confused:

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
my boat is stored on jack stands for the winter, and this way has no need to balance the boat on her keel.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
The majority of the weight is always on the keel, which transmits the support to the stringers and this provides support to the hull properly. Boats are designed for this. The side supports are merely to keep the boat vertical on the keel, not to provide lift as it would cause cracking of the hull. Good boatyard workers who do this daily in the fall are absolute experts on placement and positioning -- talk to your local yard. As far as rubber, I have never seen anything under the keel than straight wood - sometimes painted, if you want to get fancy. It's not moving around with six or seven tons on it, and it does not slip. The jackstands are occasionally covered with carpet, if you're fussy about your gelcoat.