Introducing Ourselves and our new-to-us Catalina 22'

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
Thank you, everybody, for your warm and positive responses!

@rpludwig - We laughed at your new fire extinguisher and fresh gas suggestion. Thanks for the tip. :p I squealed when I discovered the log book and opened it to find the maiden voyage back in April 1985. I yelled "IT'S A ONE OWNER BOAT JUST LIKE rpludwig's!!!" Your great find of a boat was a serious inspiration to us. I am tickled that we have the older sister to your's - almost twins....our hull numbers are 11 away from eachother. :thumbup:

@Gene Neill - You've been one of our favorites to read and follow. You and your wife look like way fun people, and we'd love to meet you both one day. You may have seen the ad for this sailboat - it is actually listed as STILL for sale on a major boat selling website. I am sure this has caused confusion for at least some people, because our marine surveyor told us he was contacted by 4 other interested buyers to survey that exact same boat....and that was back in April. He would tell them "I'm pretty sure that boat is already under contract."

@Jackdaw - It's funny you commented on the wad of money. It's probably best if we don't say how much we paid for her. :shhh:

@John Tubb - We are floored that it actually DOES match our RV. We thought we were buying a dirty-ish white boat, and had plans to eventually give her a new paint job. We were shocked when we learned it was actually a TAN fiberglass hull, which is really growing on us - and a major major bonus and a hilarity that it matches our motorhome perfectly!

Rpludwig mentioned the OH registration stickers. The previous owner lived in Ohio, and had his summer cabin in Michigan. Yes, the boat did come with the stickers still in place, as well as her name and a decal on both sides. She was a great boat with a nice name for the previous owner, and to pay our respects to her history, we will be performing the proper denaming and renaming ceremonies this weekend. :thumbup:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Jackdaw - It's funny you commented on the wad of money. It's probably best if we don't say how much we paid for her. :shhh:
I just remember buying my Catalina 22 with a stack of 100s as well! Brought back memories. ;^)

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Since nobody said I posted too many pictures, here are a few more random ones....
20180531_152020.jpg 20180603_202012.jpg
V-berth
20180530_123258.jpg 20180530_120433.jpg
We will be splurging and treating ourselves to a new head. The last one was....well loved. :)
20180530_122749.jpg
Most of the locker covers were labeled, which I found super helpful.
20180530_124633.jpg
This is the starboard lazarette - what is essentially aft of the slide out galley.
20180530_134503.jpg 20180530_135127.jpg 20180530_170154.jpg
Good heavens, so many lines. I think @ScubaGuy2 should start a post so that you can help us identify what we are supposed to do with all these. This locker is STUFFED FULL!
20180605_124646.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I see a lot of dock lines in there, the colored ones could be various running rigging, like main, jib and Spin Sheets and probably reefing lines too. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Pretty nice to see a well loved C22, I would have considered one when we looked last year but they were all in terrible condition and or way over priced. Our O'Day isn't nearly as nice but I did find the longest original owner and got a ton of history as my boat has been on the same lake within 5 nm it's whole life since 1976. I was lucky to have a long chat with him and learn a lot about our boat.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Only thing additional I noticed from the pictures is that you are missing the flame spreaders for your Origo Stove

You can see them in this picture:
Origo Stove.Jpg

The part looks like this:
Origo Flame Spreader.jpg

Don't get rid of the stove, they are awesome.

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Only thing additional I noticed from the pictures is that you are missing the flame spreaders for your Origo Stove. Don't get rid of the stove, they are awesome.
:wow3: THANKS!!! We would have never caught that! I really appreciate your keen eye in looking over our pictures!!
20180607_131005-2.jpg
In looking at the owners manual that came with it, it doesn't show those exact flame spreaders. Perhaps that was a later model? We will look into adding that to our Origo 3000.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
spotless lockers and a 2 battery toggle switch....nice mod (or maybe was an option)....and I thought our PO was OCD!!! Sweet, now keep the pics coming, wanna see it rigged and in the slip!!! (never TOO many pics on this forum, that's what keeps us motivated!)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
:wow3: THANKS!!! We would have never caught that! I really appreciate your keen eye in looking over our pictures!!
View attachment 151598
In looking at the owners manual that came with it, it doesn't show those exact flame spreaders. Perhaps that was a later model? We will look into adding that to our Origo 3000.
This is the flame you get without the spreader
Origo without spreader.jpg
This is with the spreader
Origo Flame Spreader in use.jpg

You might also want to get one or two pairs of the Origo pot retainers.
Origo-3001-Pot-Holder-set-210x300.jpg
They work to hold your pots on the stove in rough seas.
2018-01-20 13.02.37.jpg
Since your stove isn't gimbaled to swing like the one on the boat pictured above, you probably wont want to cook in any seas anyway.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Those flame spreaders are freaking RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, at least in the one or two places I was able to find them. I had bought a stove on eBay that didn’t have them. Wound up DIY-ing a set, before eventually moving on to butane.

Good pics BTW

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I just remember buying my Catalina 22 with a stack of 100s as well! Brought back memories. ;^)
Me too-
That is one great looking boat. It's like steeping back in time to the original showroom floor. The previous owner obviously loved that boat, and must have had some great times to take such good care of it. I'm sure he'd be happy to see it passed on for its next chapter to someone like yourselves. Good times ahead-

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Those flame spreaders are freaking RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, at least in the one or two places I was able to find them. I had bought a stove on eBay that didn’t have them. Wound up DIY-ing a set, before eventually moving on to butane.

Good pics BTW
I agree. Luckily mine had them.

betcha find those flame spreaders in "the stuff"!
Yes I found another pair in the spare parts on my boat as well. You should look through everything that came with the boat.

I found them for $29.58 on E-bay.
Dometic ORIGO Flame Spreader Diffuser for ORIGO Stoves

There are other options as well. I found an article on http://www.smallgalleycooking.com/ titled: The Best Flame Spreader The author discusses the issue, and recommends one that is only $6.49 on Amazon HIC Heat Diffuser. It looks a little clunky to me but should solve the issue of even heating.

Last edited:

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I only heat water and use a small fry pan so I never knew I was missing the flame spreaders.....

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I believe it is a dual purpose unit, a cooking device or blow torch, depending upon the task at hand....very innovative...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I agree. Luckily mine had them.

Yes I found another pair in the spare parts on my boat as well. You should look through everything that came with the boat.

I found them for $29.58 on E-bay.
Dometic ORIGO Flame Spreader Diffuser for ORIGO Stoves

There are other options as well. I found an article on http://www.smallgalleycooking.com/ titled: The Best Flame Spreader The author discusses the issue, and recommends one that is only $6.49 on Amazon HIC Heat Diffuser. It looks a little clunky to me but should solve the issue of even heating.
We bought that $6.49 diffuser, and were disappointed. It had two problems. It took a long time to pass enough heat to heat the pan it was supposed to save, thereby burning extra fuel. It also off-gassed a pretty bad chemical smell, which did not go away.