DockSliders Emergency Tx...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm leaving for a weekend regatta early tomorrow AM. Last night my deck shoes proved themselves too old for safe duty. They're more like ice skates. Does any know an emergency treatment. I've heard acetone rubbed on the bottom or maybe some sandpaper on the bottoms ... I don't have time for the hour round trip to West Marine Clothing store.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Boat shoes have become trendy, any big box shoe store sells cheapo boat shoes. Malwart is where I send folks and they show up with some cool looking canvas varieties for less than $20.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
You could try this stuff
Shoe GOO
  • Bonds, protects and rebuilds for a permanent repair
  • Excellent sealant – perfect for patching small holes
  • Waterproof – bond remains secure even when exposed to water
  • Creates extra traction – can even be used on skateboards!
ShoeGoo.jpg

I think it is available at Home Depot, Loews, Target, Walmart, etc.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I've found three things cause boat shoes to loose their grip - an oily substance on the surface, excessive wear so that the siping (those little cuts) are smooth, and hardening of the polyurethane sole (especially on Sperry's). I assume the bottoms are clean? I don't think there's anything you can do about the last two items, because even if you attack them with sandpaper, the next layer down is going to be smooth and hard. I'm afraid it's off to the store, or try your luck going barefooted.
I've never tried a chemical such as acetone - why don't you give it a shot if they're trash, and report out.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I would lay a couple beads of any kind of silicon or maybe some 5200 if you have it. Matt them down but do not smooth them out. They might provide a sudo-grip to the deck. Oh... make sure they are dry before wearing on deck.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
If you have an hour, buy yourself a pair of New Balance sneaks for about $50. They beat boat shoes by a mile in terms of value and traction.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Just wear good sneakers. I haven't worn deck shoes in years.

Not to say I don't like them, I just haven't tried a pair I like lately. And multis don't lean much.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
As anyone knows, avoid black soles. Most captains don't like to clean up the marks left behind.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hack saw blade. Cut shallow diagonally opposed kerfs on the sole under the ball and heel of the foot. Works like a charm on old flat soled shoes when hiking on wet, slippery rocks. Takes about 15 minutes for a fix.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I have been known to file from our tool box, the big kind with a handle on top and a heavy duty grater (like a cheese grater!) and rough up the bottom of my sailing shoes. I have given up on 'sailing shoes' and bought some super soft and comfortable sketchers that grip like crazy. Slippery shoes is the worst!

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
Wire brush them. If you have access to a drill press a circular wire brush cuts through the glazed surface in a couple of minutes.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
OK thanks for the suggestions. I did the hour drive and got a new pair of the same thing. Docksiders with the same sole as my existing. $59. In comparison if you looked at my existing you would think they are fine. But if you feel the corrugation, particularly on the yellow band in the middle it is as smooth as a baby's butt. The new ones are completely different. Otherwise there's not much difference. So I guess that area over the ball of the foot is critical.
I will try the hacksaw thing on the old ones just to see and some of the other tricks. So I appreciate the suggestions. I have to say that sneakers on a wet deck have been unsatisfactory.
As anyone knows, avoid black soles. Most captains don't like to clean up the marks left behind.
I fired a crew member for that. Cleaning up those marks got old pretty fast.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Wire brush them. If you have access to a drill press a circular wire brush cuts through the glazed surface in a couple of minutes.
I do. And I'll try that with the old pair and report back about it. And again thanks for the suggestions.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I do. And I'll try that with the old pair and report back about it. And again thanks for the suggestions.
Good luck in the Regatta. Shoe or shoeless, keep them dogs on the deck.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I feel your pain. It's disappointing. I have had a few pair of nice topsiders, and also good boat sandals turn into ice skates. The material hardens over time, and is not really fixable. I've tried acetone, the belt sander, everything. It's hard, through and through. I prefer leather boat shoes to sneakers, as my feet sweat in sneakers, and they stink. The leather doesn't do this. I always don the leather boat shoes instead of sandals for at-sea deck operations for safety, or just go barefoot.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
End of story: I show up 5:45 AM at the dock with new shoes in the sea bag and there are seven guys loading their stuff on the boat. This is a C&C 121. We're sailing non-spin. I don't mind being rail meat but that's too many for what looks like a light air regatta. The prospect of spending the weekend with seven guys and all their gear on the boat didn't appeal to me. I was home and unpacked by 6:30 AM. At least I have new shoes.