Depth Finder won't shoot through Hull

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
You can use any sealant between the hull and the transducer if the location is suitable and the hull is solid. If the water bag test failed then either the transducer has gone bad or the location is not good. Keep trying other locations. On my H31 I have two silicone mounted transducers, one Garmin, one Raymarine both work with no problem. The Garmin is 500W, goes to more than 1,300 feet, the Raymarine is 120W, and less sensitive.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
My transducer would only shoot through a maximum of 3/8 inch of fiberglass so I had to hog a hole down to that level and then back-fill with epoxy.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I was not happy with the shoot through the hull performance on my 212, so I made a transom bracket that pinches on without drilling any holes.

If nothing else, plumbers putty is a great thing to use for testing various locations to see where might work best on your particular boat.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Well
On my first boat I was stupid. Put down a huge glob of cheap bathroom silicone, stiuck the transducer in it, and forever after was able to read up to 400’ up here on Gitche Gumme.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I cut an old flip flop and made a frame silicone to clean boat bottom melted toilet bowl wax poured into cutout in flip flop pressed transducer into it until bottoms out worked great

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
After the failed water bag test I used the toilet wax like a friend of mine had successfully done on his boat. Did not work.
If I am reading this correctly the location you chose to test it with the wax-ring did not allow it to shoot through the hull in that location?

Then I cleaned everything up, sanded the interior hull and glued it down with clear 4200. I have avoided epoxy to keep from having to chisel it back up, however, I am thinking clear epoxy now which is what seems to be the trick. What bothers me is it seems the water bag test should have worked.
There are just some hulls and locations where a transducer will not shoot through. The whole idea between the water bag or wax-ring is to determine a location where the transducer works before permanently installing it. 3M 4200 only comes in black & white, not a clear so it is possible you used 3M Silicone, not a fun clean up job....

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I cut an old flip flop and made a frame silicone to clean boat bottom melted toilet bowl wax poured into cutout in flip flop pressed transducer into it until bottoms out worked great
An old flip flop- I love it

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
Bones, have you found a good location for your transducer? I have a 25.5 and am very interested, I like the Hawkeye however I was reluctant because of transducer placement. Don't want any more holes in the boat either.