The hardest kind of math...

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Actually not necessary...and if you've paid attention you'd know that Dometic/SeaLand sells "marine/rv" TP. Do you think they would if it weren't safe to flush in their systems?
However, something you should know: I was an "authorized" VacuFlush dealer/distributor for nearly 10 years starting in 1989. That required me to go to the SeaLand plant in Ohio to take their "VacuFlush Certification" training. While I was there, they gave us a tour of the plant...during which I watched an employeed opening up cases of cheap flimsy no-name/unknown brand name TP and bagging the rolls in SeaLand "marine/RV" packages. I came home ready to add TP to our product line...till I found out I'd have to buy a full truckload--6,000 cases!!--to offer it for a competitive price. I was forced to abandon the idea because we didn't have enough warehouse space for that much TP.
My point is: you CAN flush TP, but not all TP. Premium TP is a bad choice because it's loaded with creams for softness and fibers for extra strength...it'll never break down. Some of the high end all china "thrones" have macerator pumps that can chew it up, but those fragments won't ever dissolve. And I think it goes without saying that wet-wipes are definitely a no-no. I've attached a photo that illustrates what they did to a macerator pump and will also do to a toilet. But there are plenty of TPs that are ok to flush...and you can easily find out which ones are: Tear off a sheet or two and put it in mason jar or even a large glas of water. Come back in an hour and shake the jar or stir the glass. If the TP is still an intact, or mostly intact sheet, it's NOT suitable for use in most marine toilets. But if the water is milky and all you see is "snow," it's the same thing as "marine/rv" TP (for a lot lower price!) and can safely be flushed through any marine toilet.
View attachment 150629
Now Peggie this was an awesome post! I had been told and have used Cottonelle TP for years in my RVs and Boats but never had a means to "confirm" that belief. So I took your post and put Cottonelle to the test and indeed it passed! Here are the results! Thanks

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I would never have guessed that Cottonelle would even come close to passing. All the folks whose bums are too delicate and tender for institutional grade TP will be glad to know that.

Peggie