Up the mast with my Mast Mate

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Did some work today at the spreaders. Had to remove my radar reflector because the rope broke and the block was frozen so I could not get the radar reflector down.

Used the Mast Mate for the first time. Was I scared? Bet your bow wave I was. Not because of the Mast Mate, but the halyard. Regardless, all went well and the halyard did not fail.

My halyard is 5/16 XLS rope and man did that stuff strech. There was like 6"~12" stretch. Or so it was seem to me. I calculated that if I stand on the top rungs of the Mast Mast and the halyard was 2' below the spreader, I would be at mid-chest working area. Nope. I was rather much lower to the spreader than I wanted to be. But it still worked out OK.

One complaint I have about the Mast Mate. Well, the only complaint. The steps are too far apart. I had trouble reaching the next step. I actually had to lean back a little to get my foot in. Very dangerous.

I only have one halyard and it was used to lift the Mast Mate. Since I am climbing solo, I can't really use the head sail halyard. I have a fractional rig so I can only go so far. However, I am using a climbing belt and that helps. That and a climbing lanyard, which is a little heavy, but that is my "lifeline".

So overall I am pleased with the Mast Mast. I just need to learn how to work on such a wide step and to get a lanyard a little higher up my chest.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
FYI you can send it back and exchange it for a model with closer steps but it costs more.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Love my mast mate. I use in conjunction with bosens chair. That sure is a stretchy halyard...... I have minimal stretch in mine..... I climb and wife keeps the chair under my ass. When I get to where I’m going she locks me in...... then belays me down when finished.

Good luck!
Greg

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Love my mast mate. I use in conjunction with bosens chair. That sure is a stretchy halyard...... I have minimal stretch in mine..... I climb and wife keeps the chair under my ass. When I get to where I’m going she locks me in...... then belays me down when finished.

Good luck!
Greg

Love mine also but this last spring at 74 it is getting harder. A younger friend did the work. The chair sounds like a good idea. Some place to take a rest. Thanks,

Sumner
======================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
The climbing belt I am using also acts like a seat. An open seat (not like a bosuns chair). I can lean back on the belt (once tethered to the mast). But it is not at all like a bosuns chair that one can actually fall out of. There is a spot at waist level for your safety line or hoist line.
upload_2018-5-23_15-25-36.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
20180309_151539.jpg
This is how I use to get up our mast. Bare feet are nice and sticky. Now, I prefer to bring the mast down to me.

Just found this product.

Optiparts mast lock. It looks like it would add to a real sense of security.
[EDIT]
Oops, never mind. It isn't for a safety line. It is to secure a mast from coming out of it's step. But, something like that would be nice if it locked securely.

- Will (Dragonfly)

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i use a custom - built bosun chair with a wide wooden seat and safety belt . that's much more comfortable than a climbing harness or webbing seat. on 2 halyards, 1 for haul and 1 safety, i use petzl ascenders from my mountain climbing past.

Feb 17, 2006
Well, I have to go back up to install three flag halyards on the spreaders. So I will set up the Mast Mate in my garage and practice getting used to the steps. I will make this work for me. LOL

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Yes, in conjunction with a bosun chair. Eliminates your helper from having to haul you up.
Harness with safety clip or big carabiner as well. Clip in to the mast mate step at intervals. Or clip THROUGH the step onto the main halyard (not the chair halyard). --If you have external halyards.
Climbing and then standing is hard on the legs, so chair comes in handy.
Even with no helper many things can be done alone. Use the gym stair climber to condition your legs.
Much better than nothing or more expensive and difficult to install alternatives.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
1.8% of the tensioned line at 500lbs load. Do the Math! StaySet is a rubber band.

52E41DAC-1033-4C29-B4CE-F19FD2DE43D2.jpeg

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Yes, you may have to lean back a little; that does not make it dangerous. I take 2-3 minutest to climb 50'.

Pre-tension the halyard to body weight and it won't stretch. Anchor the Mastmate to the mast base.

Wear shoes that slide in easily. I save a worn-smooth pair of deck shoes for this.

Wear rubber-faced gloves. Better grip on the mast and stays (normally my hands are around the mast).

Use 3/8" halyard. 5/16" Polyester is WAY to skinny for any safety standard. Think >4000 pounds.

Always coil the ladder with the rungs pressed down; they will open correctly that way.

Yes, I have a safety line there somewhere.

The padding on the leg loops makes for much better hang time.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My bosun chair is not a price of wood. It’s a nylon chair...... would be extremely hard to fall out of. Has a back and a couple large tool pockets

Plastimo Blue Comfort Bosun's Chair

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I made a bosuns chair from a piece of ply wood. Nothing more than a wooden seat. Some webbing through holes in the 4 corners looped low in front to connect to the halyard. Used it last week, and felt more comfortable on the wood seat than in the old canvas chair I borrowed last year.

Next to try a 4:1 block and tackle to raise myself up the mast.

Cheers,

Greg

Feb 17, 2006
I am using Samson XLS Yacht Braid, 5/16" rated at 3300 Average Strength. So the SWL would be 1/5 to 1/10 of that being minimum 330 LBS or 660 LBS. Samson rates the XLS at the following...

Elastic Elongation:
10% 20% 30%
1.50% 2.20% 2.90%

I don't know how to use those numbers. I looked and could not find what they represent. I am sure one is how much the rope will stretch. The other might be length or Average Strength.

Could someone help and explain? Appreciate it.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
your legs are the strongest - climb with your legs, not hands. So use a pair of ascenders (one for the harness, one for the leg(s). If you use a 4:1, you have to use your arms. A 3rd ascender on a separate halyard, as safety. No need for extra help. Even in a fractional rig, you can use the jib halyard as safety line (the worst case, you fall a few feet).

Feb 17, 2006
You don't know what these legs have gone through. LOL
Thanks for the explanation on the Elastic Elongation.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If you pre-tension the halyard--and you should for stability--stretch does not matter. The line and ladder are stretched and your weight won't change it.

OSHA and climbing standards state 4500-5000 pounds. Remember it is the dynamic load that matters (when you step-up hard or slip a little). If you're a big guy, you'll hit 330# easily. You have a tie-in knot that weakens the line ~ 40%. Also remember that most climbing standards are built around 176-pound mass, including all clothes etc. Thus, the 5/16" line needs to be in like-new condition at all times and use a larger safety line.

Just sayin' that's what OSHA and UIAA say.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Also remember that most climbing standards are built around 176-pound mass, including all clothes etc.
I have noticed that most hardware store ladders are rated at 225-250 pounds. I weigh 215. Put work clothes on me, add a tool belt and I've already exceeded the load limit of a brand new ladder. Then, there is the materials weight I might be carrying to the top, 40-80 lbs of roofing shingles. Dang! I need a ladder rated for 350 lbs.
You can never have too much safety.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited: