Cabin top Jib tracks and winches - where to cleat?

Jul 28, 2016
So, last week we were scheduled for our first race of the season. The weather was not very good, and we decided to skip the race, but did come away scratching our heads on one thing. Had we raced, we would have be flying the #3. I have the race package on my boat, with the cabin top winched and jib tracks. However, there are no cleats for the winches! I am really amazed I hadn't figured this out before, but this is the first time since I bought the boat that we needed to fly the jib. So, what does everyone do for trimming the jib? I thought of using the cabin top winch like a turning block and then to the main winches, but that seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Those are mine. Have the race package too so yours should be the same.... Self tailing..... No need for cleats.
B959C596-2264-4936-8D3A-5E6E4A444333.jpeg

Jul 28, 2016
No, the winches are not self-tailers. Catalina didn't begin to fit the self-tailing winches until the advent of the Mark II version of the Capri 22. On Mark I boats, both cabin top and primaries were no self-tailing from the factory.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Change out your winches or add a cleat. Placement is critical to prevent overlap jams. Really, self-tailing is the way to go.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Just add cam cleats where Slarti indicated. Easy. Common on many boats like this, including the F-24.

Self tailing is nice, but you'll need the cleats anyway, since you don't keep the tails in the tailer preparing for tacks or in gusty conditions.

I'm really not a big fan of self-tailers on smaller boats. They almost get in the way. Bigger boats, yes, but I still had cam cleats for the above reasons.

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
I'm considering adding cabin top tracks and have the same question as delling3 though I somehow missed the answer. When using the cabin top tracks is it a common practice to cleat the jib sheet at the cabin top? Or is the sheet routed to the cockpit winches, perhaps through a genoa car? I typically would not have the crew to manage sheets terminated on the cabin top.

Steve

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
^^ From the jib clew, through the genoa car, to the winch. The cleats are located on the cabin bulkhead below the winch as shown in post 3, self-tailer or not.

Really, you do not need crew. Single up the sheet as described below, put a turn on the new tack side. Just push the helm over, release the windward sheet with a tug as soon as it break, and quickly haul in on the new side. It helps if you leave the traveler low on the new tack, so that it does not want to round up. YOu only release the helm for a few seconds, but you can steer with a foot or knee if need be.

IF you time it right, there should be no grinding on the new side. Haul at the right time and you get it tight before the wind hits it. Timing is everything. Practice perfecting this with two people first.

When using a self-tailer the tail does not need to be in the cam cleat. That said, the jib can be eased more quickly if the tail is NOT in the self-tailer, only in the cleat. Also, in preparation for tacking you will pop the tail out of either and remove all but one turn, for faster release.

(The jib and winch set-up on an F-24 is virtually identical.)

Jul 31, 2010
My concern about terminating jib sheets on the cabin top is the need for frequent sail adjustments upwind, not really about the tack. Adjustment of lines cleated on the cabin is not practical with passengers aboard.

The talk of using a self-tailing winch with the cabin top track suggests the sheets are run to the cockpit as Capri 22's do not have self tailing winches on the cabin as far as I've seen.

Steve

Jul 31, 2010
@odj22sailor,

Awesome! Your 2nd photo shows the exact setup I plan to try before adding a cabin top track and as illustrated by the photo the track may not be so useful anyway.