Furling main purchase question

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
best place to buy a new furling main for my h41, ? Please tell me your purchase experience.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
My friend purchased a Doyle sail for his 41DS. With Battens and it works just fine. One thing to note that when the sail is new it will be a bit harder to furl and unfurl due to the stiffness of it but after a couple of uses that goes away. He has had no issues with is Doyle.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I bought mine from a local sail loft, Vermont Sailing Partners. It's been great with no issues.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I don't have a furling mast mainsail, but when I bought a Schaefer furling boom I bought a new mainsail and headsail from Mack Sails in Florida. My rigger with 30+ years experience recommended them along with a local loft. Mack Sails delivered on time and both sails fit perfectly right out of the box. Nice discount off a local loft as well.
I have no connection to Mack Sails other than a very satisfied customer.
http://macksails.com/

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
My friend purchased a Doyle sail for his 41DS. With Battens and it works just fine. One thing to note that when the sail is new it will be a bit harder to furl and unfurl due to the stiffness of it but after a couple of uses that goes away. He has had no issues with is Doyle.
Can you ask if they have notice a difference in performance with the battens or is only for durability of the sail, i have read many post about it and i cannot find this answer.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Valerio I do not have a furling main. In the research I have done to find my new Mainsail I have also read about the furling sails being produced. Regarding the idea of battens or no battens, the new laminated cloths, revised designs, and the furler technology would have me leaning to a no batten design.
As far as sources, I am going with North Sail. In fact I am awaiting the local Loft to send their expert to measure my boat today. Quotes were all over the place. Low of 1,800 to 7,000. North is on the lower end. More importantly, they measure the boat and have a 1 year guarantee (North Sails proudly offers one year of sail care and repair free with the purchase of a new Cruising, Club racing or One Design sail.) A plus, I got a recommendation for the North Loft from my Rigger.
Find a Loft that you can work with. Ask questions and consider all of the ways you want to use the boat. No set of sails can do everything, so you try to find the fit that meets most of your aspirations. Boats are a series of compromises.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I also have heard great things about Mack Sails and did have them recut my inmast main,who ever you get make sure they come to your boat and also only from other Hunters with inmast that the battens are for better performance and know 2 Hunter owners who race and had battens but did away with the battens,when I asked why they said the battens were a pain when furling in and out and just more trouble to make sure everything had to be done perfectly.
Nick

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
I’m a full time cruiser in the Pacific Northwest and I love what the vertical battens do for my H36’s sail shape, especially in the 6-15 knot range.
Never had a furling issue with the battens, other than some minor hesitation coming out. I reef and shake out frequently to match power to conditions, which can vary widely here. The folks who claim that battens give you furling trouble have the wrong battens or are having other issues with in-mast furling. And, it just sounds so logical. Until you’ve sailed with them for a season. By all means, find a local loft you can trust.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just had the North Sail loft owner out to my boat measuring thespars and rigging for the new Main. Thorough procedure. Like a carpenter “measure twice”. Promise is the first week in July. I sure hope so. Will make the rest of this season fun.

jerry

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 320 500 Stockton, Mo.
Valerio,
I had a Catalina 28 that I had a furling mast for 12 years. The 1st main sail I lost a batten by not locking it in tight and the extra roach it supported flogged in lighter winds. When I got a new one in the flogging stopped and the roach remained upright. One side benefit I found was that when furling, I could watch the battens go into the slot and if not straight, readjust the boom angle thus avoiding problems later.

Edit: I used Doyle for 2 sails. The second one I mismeasured the height and had to send it back to remove 6 in from the top. They did the work for free and quickly.

Last edited:

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I bought a new furling main for my H41ds from North Sails in 2017. No battens, it is slightly smaller but its design and weight make for a very stiff leech and have had no issues. Very happy, better price than Doyle, and the battens, especially full length will cause problems as the sail ages. The 1/8 knot is not worth the hassle. Even my 8 oz sail packs tight into the mast without battens. Benz at North Sails, New Orleans

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
$2,700 7.8 oz performance something or other. This business is very competitive so do use you cash as leverage

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Evolution Sails in Toronto
Greg is a phenemaly honest guy. Makes great sails
And the cdn$ will work in your favour
Highly recommended !!!