Gravity wins

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I see your point, but have to disagree that there is no skill involved. But have to agree there is a lot of nerve. I never got involved in racing under sail, I prefer to just cruise and relax these days.
I can relate to the racing bug though. Good luck this season.
I totally get that... I oversimplified to make a point. You are right; you get close to the edge doing anything and it takes skill to not fall off.

Nov 8, 2010
I don't know why everyone doesn't find that more thrilling and fun than a speed boat. You guys are having a great time. :clap:
nice video too.

- Will (Dragonfly)
The 260 is a very honest boat in that breeze. There are a lot of boats at WYC that the CREW is not happy crewing in 16kts of breeze, let alone handing over the controls to newbies in it.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Mmm, Bell's of Kazoo.
Oh yes. Funny deal, they for years have sponsored on of the biggest freshwater races in the world. Sailors love the beer. But for years only in bottles, which racers hate on board. So as soon as cans came, very happy sailors!

6CD83E75-0FF3-4834-8336-B05B74C77FB1.jpeg

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
hope ted is alright... minus a bruised ego from posting his fall from grace all over the interwebs.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
head to the bow to take some pictures.
It is crazy. No bikinis, no people or boats flying though the air, Just guys drinking beer while sitting on the rail.

I just could not stop the video. It was entrancing. Guess I'm just an addicted sailboat junkie. I think I need a 12 step program.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It is crazy. No bikinis, no people or boats flying though the air, Just guys drinking beer while sitting on the rail.

I just could not stop the video. It was entrancing. Guess I'm just an addicted sailboat junkie. I think I need a 12 step program.
A Wednesday beer can group could be as few as 4 marks, so you’d be getting off easy. :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Guess I'm just an addicted sailboat junkie. I think I need a 12 step program.
NO! NO I DON'T! I AM NOT AN ADDICT. I ONLY SAIL ON SOCIAL OCCASIONS, or when I'm under a lot of stress or just to relax, or when I have nothing else to do, or just to keep my wife company, or just before breakfast, or to get across to the restaurant for lunch, or for exercise, or after dinner, or it's a weekend, or on Wednesdays, or occasionally mid-week just to break the routine, but NEVER at dusk. No I would never do that.

"... in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening – or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, midevening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early midafternoon, or perhaps the late-midafternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning. . . . But never at dusk."
Steve Martin

See? I CAN HANDLE IT!

- Will (Dragonfly)

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
But with respect, thats really all nerve and no skill. I love the notion of GENERATING the speed. You can look at the video and say 'I did that'. Those guys smiled all that way back. At 8 MPH.
When people who have never sailed tell me sailing looks boring because you go slow, I tell them you don't know how fast 7MPH is until you've sailed.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When people who have never sailed tell me sailing looks boring because you go slow, I tell them you don't know how fast 7MPH is until you've sailed.
:clap:

Some "sailors" bring their own excitement, others actually know how to sail. ;)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
As a ex-towhead it's going to be bad. My skin is going to be like a chicken wing on the grill. I'll lather on the sun block but it's not going to do it. I usually schedule my Dermatology check up in winter or early spring. She's not going to be fooled as she sails too. I'll promise to only sail at night.

Nov 8, 2010
Going from jackets to bare skin in less than a week. Can anybody say crispy skin? .... where's the aloe vera gel?
An issue for most for sure. I’m 1/3 Native American, so I’m naturally dark and tan as soon as the sun come back out. I wear screen but to not avail. I look native already. Jodi has her own strategy. That works great, so I leave that alone.