Rotting wood in anchor locker (Hunter 290)

Jul 22, 2015
Hunter 290 Lawrence, KS
Hi all,

This is my first post, so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place or improperly made in some way! I just took delivery of my Hunter 290 (which I love), and everything looked great on it except for one thing.

In the anchor locker there was quite a bit of moisture. In the process of cleaning every little thing I could find, I pulled all the chain/rode out and found that some of the lining was breaking off in pieces. Under that I found some wood that was completely soaked through, soft to the touch and just generally gave me a bad feeling.

It doesn't appear to be sharing a wall with the forward berth (so no leaking into the cabin, I think), and doesn't look like it's affecting anything major. I'm trying to get a sense of 1) how big of a problem is this? 2) How would I go about fixing it?

Attached are a couple of photos of the area I'm talking about. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Looks like the quality-control boys at Luhrs decided that glassing plywood was just fine for your anchor locker. The cracks indicate that the entire panel is compromised, the core rotted, and moisture is finding it's way into whatever is below. Probably some damp and inaccessible bilge. You'll need to dry the locker out, determine whether you can save the panel with thinned epoxy or will have to cut it out and replace the panel. Marine ply and epoxy/glass will work, but you have to protect the panel from heavy hard anchor bits. Maybe a wear layer of starboard.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well that's not going to make the boat-builders hall of fame.

Like Gunni said, it looks like they coated piece of plywood with resin, and after it dried gelcoated it to match. Years of rough anchor work cracked it and the rot set into the exposed wood.

The good news is that I expect all the damage with be confined to that one piece. With any luck the backside is coated and the water did not soak through.

But you need to find out. That backside is probably hidden by the trim panel at the front of your vee berth. First thing to do is pull that off and see what you are up against. You'll likely need to get into that area to do the repair anyway.

I'm assuming no pre-purchase survey; a good surveyor would have seen that straight away.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
That looks like it could contribute water to your bilge as it trickles down the interior of the hull. Your interior finishes likely conceal any leakage that may be occurring. It looks like a significant project to remove damaged material and re-build it. You could probably try a temporary barrier treatment and make sure the locker drainage is functioning well. Then you could make this a winter project.

Jul 22, 2015
Hunter 290 Lawrence, KS
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the responses.

There was a survey, but apparently not a good one. When I saw the boat there was a small wasp nest inside the locker. Maybe he got scared off by them. Luckily this is about the only thing that worries me after shaking it down for a couple of days and getting in all the places I could squeeze myself.

My guess is that the panel is not salvageable at this point. It was more than a little mushy, and I think that if I'm going to put in the work to seal it back up I'd rather spend a few more hours to cut out and replace that panel at the same time.

I guess the only question left in my mind is how to secure the new plywood after removing the old, but that will probably become more obvious when I get in there.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Some marine lumber properly epoxied can be fashioned into cleats to hold the panel from below until you can glass and and filet the panel from above. The Gougeon Brothers (West Epoxy) have documented every kind of epoxy repair you can imagine. Pickup their repair publications and you will learn what you need to make this better than original.

I have a similar project to build an anchor locker divider for my second anchor - as Scott says, these are good off-season projects. And yes, make sure you have enough anchor drainage. You can always add a second drain hole. Like maybe a couple of inches above the OEM drain. Don't want a locker full of seawater.

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Great resource close by...

The good news is that you've got resources close by to help with that repair - Kansas City Sailing in Lawrence.

I've got a boat at Perry an have found the owner - Bruce - and the manager - Sarah - to be terrific folks.

It's great to have the resource there in Lawrence rather than having to get everything mail order. Good luck. Is your boat at Perry...or Clinton...or some other place?

Oct 6, 2009
Newport Newport 28 MKII Jacksonville, FL
Make sure the anchor locker drain is clear and allowing water to run out. The one in my Newport was a small diameter and prone to clog, so I added a second drain. Fortunately, no damage to boat before discovering the problem.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
repair

When you get under the anchor locker in the vee berth you will see what you can use to hold a new bottom with epoxy and matting.
I did some work in that area when I owned my 2001 290 before 2007,tried adding a windless.
I am no expert with the west system but just read up and research how to do it
and I have done some with practice on samples of wood and just make all new bottom and make sure drain stays clear.
I think maybe the anchor was dropped in and started the cracking,loved that 290 for many years before upgrading to my now H-36.
Nick

Jul 22, 2015
Hunter 290 Lawrence, KS
The good news is that you've got resources close by to help with that repair - Kansas City Sailing in Lawrence.

I've got a boat at Perry an have found the owner - Bruce - and the manager - Sarah - to be terrific folks.

It's great to have the resource there in Lawrence rather than having to get everything mail order. Good luck. Is your boat at Perry...or Clinton...or some other place?
I'm at Clinton for at least a couple of seasons (friends already there and convenience, mostly). I've met Sarah up there and agree. They've been great for the couple of things I've needed so far. Next time I'm up that way I'll see what they have to say as well.

The drain was almost certainly clogging before I got it, which likely made this issue worse. There is a second drain hole in the locker, but it's very high up the side, which seems less useful than I would like. The locker would sit mostly full of water if it got that high anyway.

This weekend I'll get down in the vee berth and try to figure out how to get at this thing. Thank you all very much for the help.

Jul 17, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Chesapeake Bay
Here is a picture of what is left of the wood used as backer for my bow eye. Why do boat makers continue to use wood (other than ornamental trim) in this day and age when we have ample "non-rottable" substances readily available?

Attachments

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I think that the anchor locker can be cut out and repaired. Then the rotten wood could be replaced and the locker can be glassed back into place.

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
I began gutting the wood in my anchor locker last night on my H22. Originally I was just going to remove the failed caulking and recoat but once i got there i could press on the wood and water would squish up through the crack. In no sane mind could i let that fester there. I really dont want water draining down on me when im trying to sleep. So, i began the sad task of ripping up the entire glass and wood bedding to expose the fiberglass below. I have plenty of 1/2" marine ply left from a bulkhead job, and I ordered more epoxy/hardener and glass weave to reglass the new wood in place.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Hunter dealer who sold the Hunter 290 years ago, first a couple of comments.
You will find a few bad apples in any barrel and that includes appraisers. Once I had an appraiser explain the manufacturer was bad trying to explain why ribs were either pulled away or busted to the owner. Funny thing, the keel was partially pulled off from the hull with coral, concrete,steel rebarb and other things embedded in the hull not to mention the sever gouges in the hull and keel as well. Also a third of the rudder was missing. I looked at the appraiser asking him if he got his credentials from a box of Cracker Jacks.

First, @Dave Groshong would you talk with Al and Joe to see if they can remember the construction of the 290 anchor well and advise. Thanks.

I would ask any 290 owners to advise if there is a removable wall on the V berth and advise what is seen and if the bottom of the anchor well is fiberglass/wood or a combination.

Looking at the second photo I have a question in the corners as if this repaired before. Would folks like @Jackdaw and others look again closer to the second photo as I have a question to the corners and advise.

When we have more information then a better response or suggestions can be made and I too will make a suggestion

pfaffk

Mar 4, 2011
Hunter 290 Haverstraw
Good Morning, I also have a Hunter 290 and I had the exact same problem, and just finished fixing it last week. Mine was not as bad as yours, it was delaminated and the wood was wet. I pulled out all bad wood, let it dry out, then used my angle grinder to bevel the edges. I then put in a number of layers of fiber glass, filling in the deeper spots the bring the up and then one large sheet over the entire bottom. Once cured I sanded it smooth and then painted it with 2 coats of paint20180509_130038.jpg 20180509_130038.jpg 20180511_164632.jpg 20180509_130038.jpg 20180511_164632.jpg 20180514_114057.jpg 20180520_140511.jpg

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
First thing dry it out. Fans or a wet vac just stick it on wet plywood and let her run I once let a wetvac run all night on a wet spot while I slept on boat and dug material out with a screwdriver the next day

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
wow, we have the exact same problem on mour H290 2000. wounder if it is a defect in design. Surveyer missed it but did notice the drain holes were plugged with organic debris.. On clean up I found the rot and took off the v birth panel to verify the wood rotted through. We are having a pro F/G tech fix it and he said probably a days worth of labour....would like to know how you made out and also if any posters here know anything about other design issues to watch out for. Boat is great so far and one cannot beat the room in cockpit and cabin for a boat 28.6 ft .
cheers
Colin