O’Day 322 throttle and transmission cable replacement

Jul 17, 2012
Oday 322 Fairhaven
Changing the cables just made my to do list. Any tips tricks would be appreciated. Has anybody changed the controls from the standard lever shifter to the configuration where the throttle is on the right and the forward reverse is on the left?

8E7A5233-9A02-4C4F-A4C7-604C63FABC37.png

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Why would you want to do that? Seems like it would be easier to get them confused.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I replaced my gear cable over the winter. It wasn’t a fun job, probably took me 8 hours total time.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I originally wanted to do this on my O’Day 322, in part because I learned on a boat with the throttle and gear shift on the right and left of the pedestal.

But, as I understand it, Edson recommends your current set up because of the force needed to shift the tranny.

Maybe there are just as many other boats out there with the 2GM20F and Kanzani tranny with the short shift lever, but I don’t know for sure.

I eventually decided it was not worth it to me.

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I still don’t understand the rationale for doing this. Controls right and left of the pedestal mean switching hands, thereby taking a hand off the wheel. That might not be a good idea at a critical moment.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I still don’t understand the rationale for doing this. Controls right and left of the pedestal mean switching hands, thereby taking a hand off the wheel. That might not be a good idea at a critical moment.
Must be a matter of personal preference and experience. I grew up with the shifter and throttle on opposite sides and find it perfectly intuitive. Most of the time that you're using the shifter is around the dock or mooring when you shouldn't need much throttle anyway. Also the notion of pushing forward to go forward and back to go back makes more sense to me than up/down for forward and back. I've seen new boaters power into the dock meaning to shift into reverse with the up/down style.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Must be a matter of personal preference and experience. I grew up with the shifter and throttle on opposite sides and find it perfectly intuitive. Most of the time that you're using the shifter is around the dock or mooring when you shouldn't need much throttle anyway. Also the notion of pushing forward to go forward and back to go back makes more sense to me than up/down for forward and back. I've seen new boaters power into the dock meaning to shift into reverse with the up/down style.
I have to look down at my shift lever once in a while (especially at the start of the season) to make sure I know which way is forward and which way is reverse.

The left and right levers are a little more intuitive.

But like I said, not worth the effort to change them (for me anyway). I hate using the engine...no sense it making it easier to use ;-)

Greg