Delayed Reverse

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
We had a great sail today on the Chesapeake Bay, good winds, nice temps and no chop. When we got back to our slip when I went to back in and put it in reverse, there was a 2-3 second delay until it engaged. Once tied up in our slip I put it in forward, neutral and reverse. Forward engages right away, but reverse has a 2-3 second delay. We had to get on our way home so I didn't have any time to investigate. Any suggestions so I can prepare for our next visit?

Thanks, Mike

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Maybe start by checking the fluid level in the transmission.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Mike, a while back (July 2017) in the Catalina 30 section, this was discussed in a thread about changing transmission oil. Not sure if I have supplied the link or not, but there is great info there. Everything from checking transmission level and condition, making sure the cable linkage is set properly, to a description of the parts needed for a rebuild. Here is a section of one of my replies in that thread, but my slippage was in forward only. Since then I have 150 hours on the rebuild with zero issues.

Ted, I have the same engine and transmission, and had the same slipping 2 seasons ago. I bought the clutch plate kit and the gasket kit from Basic Power Industries, about $320 US. I have a friend that is an auto mechanic, he rebuilt it and I have had no issues since. The clutch plates were very polished, after only 500 hours on the engine.
Part #s were
ALT316750 - Clutch plate kit for Hurth HBW 5, 50, 100
ALT316801B - Gasket set to Overhaul Hurth HBW 5, 50, 100

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/transmission-information.186662/#post-1390074

Cheers
dj

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
We had a great sail today on the Chesapeake Bay, good winds, nice temps and no chop. When we got back to our slip when I went to back in and put it in reverse, there was a 2-3 second delay until it engaged. Once tied up in our slip I put it in forward, neutral and reverse. Forward engages right away, but reverse has a 2-3 second delay. We had to get on our way home so I didn't have any time to investigate. Any suggestions so I can prepare for our next visit?

Thanks, Mike
Before you get sidetracked by all the guesses, have you checked the condition and play in the shift cable?

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
I have not checked anything yet. As we had to head out once we docked. We will be down at the boat in the morning hoping to sail out and get a night or two on anchor. I will check the shift cable and fluid level and color as my first step. Does it take a specific type of ATF? Thanks.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
In addition to checking the transmission fluid, look at your dampener plate if you haven't done this project.
How does one go about checking the dampener plate if the transmission is still fixed to the engine and the engine is in place?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
How does one go about checking the dampener plate if the transmission is still fixed to the engine and the engine is in place?
I know a couple of mechanics that can diagnose the issue without taking it apart by listening to it go in and out of gear. But I'm not that good. So I would take the transmission off the engine and look. My damaged dampener plate was readily apparent as soon as I put eyes on it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, a poorly adjusted shift cable or a cable that is slipping in the transmission shifter arm can give these kinds of problems.