How to use max and mins on my wind instrument

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
My new wind instrument has little dots representing maximum and minimum wind angles which can be reset easily. I am wondering how to use this feature in a tactical sense. It occurs to me that in true wind mode I would use it to have a sense of lifts and knocks within the range while on a tack. Get knocked, tack!
Any other thoughts?
Dan

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If you're sailing close hauled then you're probably adjusting course on the shifts already, so the max and min wind angles wouldn't necessarily show the shifts. A tactical compass is better for showing that info. Max and min true wind angle might help when you're at the dock before a race to notice shiftiness or whether the shifts are oscillating or persistent.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'll agree with David on this topic. Keeping an eye on your compass heading changes when close hauled is a better way to monitor the shifts. However, if your wind instrument can chart true wind speed and direction data it will help you anticipate oscillating shifts.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm distrustful of an instrument which isn't specifically set for your boat. And even then your ability to sail close to the wind will change with conditions. So I think at best they can be rough guide. Say you come out of a tack you can quickly see where to need to get. You can do that without looking up which is nice. Keep your attention on the sails. And then refine trim and steering to improve on that. If you set the dots to your best pointing you will need ideal conditions to sail to that. Much of the time you will be sailing to as close to that as you can and maybe feel frustrated . If Maximum includes downwind that would be deepest angle you can sail and maintain speed. The so called downwind cliff. You'll feel it before you see it on an instrument.
I agree we the others about a compass being a better tool to track lifts and knocks. It is real time and accurate if you can see the numbers.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The only way your wind instrument can help you tactically is if it networked to your compass, and is designed to report TRUE WIND DIRECTION. This is different from True Wind Angle, which is always relative to your boat's heading. Going upwind, TWA will normally hover around 40-45 degree for most boats, no matter how much the true wind direction swings (shifts). Racing instruments like Raymarine tacktick and B&G Hydra will do this calculation and display it.

Stand alone devices like the Velocitek SHIFT will also do this. Here showing an 11 degree knock.
VELSHIFT_1600x1066.jpg

PS - I rep these things, and have a SMOKING great deal on a new-in-the-box New Old Stock SHIFT with full waranty.