Lake Ouachita in Arkansas

May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
I’m going to Lake Ouachita this summer for 9 day’s. The wife and I are taking the camper and Catalina 22 sailboat. We have a campsite reserved in Joplin (sister-in-law is nearby).

Anyone give me advice about that lake?
I’d hate to take it in and out everyday. Any suggestions as where I can tie up?
Any cautions?

I did a search but the only thread I found was from 2005.
Thanks

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Lake Oachita is beautiful, surrounded by high hills and low mountains with coves that could be called fjords...so I don't know how good the sailing would be there...I suspect you'll spend more time motoring and drifting than under sail. But it's so gorgeous there that it would be worth it just to get out on the water and explore the lake.

The only Joplin in AR is Joplin Recreation Area and Campground in Mt. Ida, which is 25-30 miles from Hot Springs...historic and definitely worth the side trip. The only marina near there is Mountain Harbor. You might want to google 'em to find out whether there'd be any place to park your boat in the water. The campground may also have some dockage for small boats.
Go to Google Maps and find Lake Ouachata and then Joplin Campground...there's quit a bit of info available by clicking on the various locations on the map.

Peggie

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Texas Gun-Man, Another great local choice would be DeGray Lake, a few miles south. We kept BlueJ there one winter and had a BLAST. There are two marinas, a yacht club, and a few of the nicest boat ramps I've ever laid eyes on. The water is deep and clear, and is surrounded by pine forests. As Peggy says the summers are often hot and windless. However the State Park there has a beautiful resort and restaurant with its own marina for visitors. Here's BlueJ parked there while we have lunch.

IMG_0662.JPG (2).JPG

More info here:

http://www.degraylake.org/marinas/

May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
Thanks Peggie and Jack.
I’ve heard there are a lot of sailboats on the lake. Was hoping someone on here was one of them.
I’m a reasonably experienced lake sailor but always love local knowledge.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Your duplicate post in trailer sailers hasn't gotten any replies...how 'bout deleting it before it does? 'Cuz that would create competing threads that are hard to follow.

Peggie

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
TGM,
Here is a link to that question that was asked here a while back.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/sailing-lake-ouchita-ar.59346/

I have sailed there a few times. The only things I would add is that we have predominately south winds, so with the hills right up to the shore line that leads to some switchy conditions. Certainly not a place for a spinnaker. The other note is to pay attention to the lake level. It changes drastically with the rainfall. The reason I caution you is there are several shallow spots where you wouldn't expect them. They are well marked with bouys if you are paying attention. As noted, the place is beautiful, advertised as the cleanest lake in the US.