Need info on Beneteau

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,
I'm looking to replace my Cat30 and one of the alternatives I have some interest is Beneteau's 321 series. Does anyone have any experience with this brand as it might compare to my Cat30?

Thank you for your opinions,

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I've had a Catalina and I now have a Beneteau. Without addressing the specifics of a particular model I would say all things considered the brands are pretty equal. There are differences in design and finish work etc. the one thing I did prefer about the Catalina was the lead keel whereas my Bene has a cast iron keel but I understand that some Beneteaus do have lead keels. Bottom line I would buy either brand again.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
On the 3 digit Catalinas a "hull and liner" construction method is used, seat and galley bases are made from fiberglass as part of the liner. Most of the cabin sole is supported on a fiberglass pan with floorboards screwed down, access to space under cushions is a plywood lid on the FG base. On a Bene all the cabin furniture bases are "stick built" so bases are ply with elaborate puzzle shaped plywood covers.
Cat uses a FG box on front and rear for engine covers which are not insulated and noisey when motoring, boxes are easily removed from the boat for service. Bene uses a companionway stair/cover that swings up for access and is insulated with egg crate foam so very quiet when motoring, with insulated removable ply panels in aft cabin.
Catalina usually have 2 equal battery banks of 4D's with a 1-2- both switch, Bene's have a single start battery and 5/6 house batts size 24/27/31, they are switched independently.
For many mechanical items particular to the builder Cat could be characterized as using a KISS engineering approach and Bene a more " French engineering" approach. Organizer at mast plate on a Cat is stainless sheet with holes punched for shackles and turning blocks, French make a forged casting with machined hardened steel pin. Cat uses a FG companionway hatch with boards, Bene a plate glass hatch, etc.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Might consider a Beneteau 331 also.
I have chartered one several times; nice boat. Don’t know what current prices are running now, probably under 50 depending on year & condition. Think they were manufactured for about 8 years, ending sometime in 05.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I've had mine for 12 years. Doug M, 19 I think. I can stand up in the vee cabin. 12 volt fridge. ENgine/shore water heater. Transom shower, lots of storage. propane stove/oven. Good size bunks- especially the aft. Heavy duty deck hardware- line stoppers/toe rail CLEATS. Roller can hold a 35 CQR. Strong shelf for windlass. Good access to wire/plumbing. OH, the first weekend I had it, a female guest said, "That's not a HEAD, that's a BATHROOM- and was my primary choice for buying the 323. Doug?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I've had mine for 12 years. Doug M, 19 I think. I can stand up in the vee cabin. 12 volt fridge. ENgine/shore water heater. Transom shower, lots of storage. propane stove/oven. Good size bunks- especially the aft. Heavy duty deck hardware- line stoppers/toe rail CLEATS. Roller can hold a 35 CQR. Strong shelf for windlass. Good access to wire/plumbing. OH, the first weekend I had it, a female guest said, "That's not a HEAD, that's a BATHROOM- and was my primary choice for buying the 323. Doug?
I have actually only had my 323 for 14 years. 2004 was the firsr year they were built.
We had been looking at the 323 and a comparable Catalina. Both good boats and comparable in cost at the time. The head was the deal cincher for my wife.
Since I am tall (6’7”), the ability to amost stand upright in the main cabin was definitely a plus.
My boat had the 2GM Yanmar diesel, and the 3GM was an option. The 2 is adequate for my needs.
There is plenty of storage room, although I keep what I can off the boat to save weight. I guess thats the former racer in me; anything to get more speed.
The boat sails well, but can feel a bit tender until its trimmed out properly.
The primary winches are Lewmar 30s, which are OK, but I would have preferred 40s.