A/C raw water pump cavitating

May 22, 2017
Catalina 310 Lake Carlyle
Hello Mates. Every time I clean the A/C raw water pump filter, the pump cavitates. I tried filling the filter housing with water before re-adding, but it didn't help. I have to remove the output hose and turn on pump to let water flow to stop cavitating. A previous post in a different forum showed a valve and hose fittings to add to the output of the pump but I can't find the post now. Opening the valve momentarily would eliminate removing the hose from the pump. Other boats in my marina have this problem also. I'm thinking someone on this forum has added a valve and can inform me what valve and fittings to buy. I believe the ID of the hose is 1/2 inch.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Hey Frank,

Just so you know, the AC wasn't installed by Catalina but rather a dealer or someone after. So you might get better results posting in the all sailors section of the forum.

Good luck and fair winds

May 22, 2017
I will after I see if anyone on the this forum has added the valve to resolve the problem.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Sounds like the pump isn't installed below the waterline, or there's a bit of "fall" in the supply hose?
Supply hose should be in a constant ascent to the pump.

May 22, 2017
Pump is installed below water line. Filter housing immediately fills after it is reinstalled but it only takes a little air in filter to get pump cavitating. Once pump gets water flowing it is fine until filter needs cleaning, usually every two months on our fertile brown water lake.